Random issues after simple work...

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by dub303, Jun 8, 2017.

1. dub303 Forum Member

Tried starting my car but it just spluttered 3 times. I primed it a few times and heard a clunk each time and usual buzz from the pump. The clunk stopped and the engine started. But... the speedo, revs and MFA wasn't working. Eventually the speedo started to work after a drive. It started fine without clucking when warm but speedo and MFA still not working.

Never happened before. The fuel pump and all housing stuff is brand new and was fine for a few weeks I used it. Which pump would 'knock', could it be the lift pump (old) or something not right with all the new gear ?

I'd had my car (mk2 16v KR) on ramps to remove the stubborn bolts holding the rusting rear bumper iron on. Irwins didn't work so I tried welding a nut on and now wondering if this has caused electrical issues with relay or somethong, but plucking at straws, not even sure that's possible... the negative was off the battery.

Any ideas?

2. blis Forum Member

Speedo is cable driven? My MK2 is, so it's not just an electrical problem. Had the clocks out recently?

3. dub303 Forum Member

Not touched the clocks or anything other than battery off to weld. Just had a look after more Google time, and MFA fuse was blown. didn't start it yet to see if revs work (sneaked out of work).

Edit: revs work now too. Didn't know they were effected by the fuse.

Just need to sort the sputtering when cold and bad mpg now.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. blis Forum Member

I'd clean and check grounds while at it, specially with odd electrical gremlins, common factor is ground.

5. dub303 Forum Member

I had another look around and soldered a dodgy choc block job. Found a loose positive from the starter, all connected to the cold enrichment metal disc thing. But also noticed the car wouldn't idle when I swapped two water temp sender wires over (mentioned in another post). Hoping that these things are the issue and a new sender will fix it.