Rat look...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by theboymike, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Dono Forum Member

Im well "scene" I have that too! last week it was a double matress that i got on offer from dreams, wrapped with a stylish yellow climbing rope. lol the guy at the shop didn't believe me when i said id be taking it home on my roof :lol:

2. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

3. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Yup.
    As with any visual scheme, it only looks pap when you overdo it.
    The Mk3 further up the page is pathetic, the E28 is fantastic.

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

D'you think the stuff on the roof is actual 'junk', or hollow moulded plastic, like the tellies, books, etc, seen in furniture stores? And is that the word 'bad' (sorry, 'Bad') on the front edge? And an inverted old-fashioned AA badge, does that signify anything, other than wannabe 'wackiness'?

I'm quite fond of shabby vehicles in films and on telly, to establish or emphasise a characters 'non-conformity' (think 'Withnail & I' Jaguar, or the clapped out Mustang in 'Salvador'), but to deliberately set out to achieve that effect just to make a point, and a hackneyed one at that, seems a bit desperate. Still, each to their own.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Was fantastic,

Its gone now[:^(]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I can't explain the Beetle being attacked with the brake fluid, but I think it's the perfick time to post this piccy again:

[​IMG]

No surprise the majority of the Editon 38 crowd missed the total irony. Only a car which won the VW Cup outright, twice.

Roof rack plus two wheels, jerry can, Mobil 1, and a water gun :lol: :lol:

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Recently I've seen people sticking wood grain stickers on their car to make them look they've been made of wood....

I don't dislike the rat look tbh... but I do feel anger when people destroy perfectly good, sometimes even better than average, VW's to achieve it. Nothing wrong with buying an old banger to have a laugh with! I remember my friend bought a 1.3 golf for 150 and painted it hammerite black and then played naughts and crosses on the roof in white paint. Every week he would paint over it in hammerite black again and then re-play a new game on the roof. For 150 it was fair enough. Nothing "scene" about it though - just a good crack.

Most of us follow some sort of trend with our cars, be it german plates, bbs wheels blah blah blah.

8. pistol pete Forum Member

9. lard44 Forum Member

Now THAT is ratting how it should be done to my mind.

It looks tatty but has some amazing mechanicals. I've seen plenty of VW Splittys that are cut back to bare metal but running Subaru lumps...to me that's cool.

10. That would be my ratty golf!! I know loads of people don't like it but I did so thats what important, plus I bought the car for 200 did that to it then managed to sell it for 500. So worked out pretty well for me [:D]

11. some people cant afford cheque book cars like most of the vw crew.....

i personally like it, my van was tatty anyway so i started to rat it... suits my t4 fine!!!

but i suppose we all havnt got rich mummys and daddys who can support are needs[:^(]

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

And a yellow flag just incase :lol:

To be seen, is to be scene :lol:

13. shcKr- New Member

I think the thing most people don't understand is about the 'rat look' is that its done, mainly for the fact we can? We know the cars are not worth keeping so why not doing something fun with it while its alive :)
    Its just done for a bit of a laugh if I'm honest, and sometimes to p*** off the clubs etc. just like this thread.. Why do you care? Its our cars, we can do what we like to them, its just a bit of a laugh and not really caring if anyone likes it or not..

Others just genuinely like the look :)

Just my 50p