Raw fuel smell,urgent help!!golf mk3

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by gor131-x, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gor131-x New Member

hi guys
    first time posting on here!

i have a mk3 golf 1.4 aex engine code.i have a 10+page thread on golfgtiforum and still stumped!heres' the link:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index....pic=134402.120

basicly,the head gasket went,got another engine from scrappers,that was knackered,got another engine which sounds and runs fine,however a few problems:

1. there is a strong raw unburnt fuel smell coming from the crankcase breather hose,changed the throttle body,still no change,

2.the temperature needle drops to zero when i drive and goes to 90degrees when stationary,ive changed temp sensor and thermostat but stil the same

3.the radiator hoses get airlocked but when i unscrew the expansion tank cap,they go fine,however,upon driving the car again,they will become airlocked again.ive bought a new expansion tank and cap and still same problem.

its had a new lambda,temp sensor,thermostat,throttlebody,inlet manifold,new spark plugs,I AM ABSOLUTELY STUMPED

any input guys

thanks

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

good evening,
    1, over fueling due to pressure too high, worn rings or another issue possibly electrical

2, wiring ok? earth points ok (also see above)? something changes when driven?

3, have you ran it hot with cap off, and radiator kicked in, any chance of loosing water when under pressure, drawing in air?

hope some of these may point you in right direction

3. gor131-x New Member

hi
    thanks for the reply

it has 3 earth point on it,all in good condition

im having a compression test done on the 3rd jan when my garage opens up,hope its not worn rings!

and when the car does reach 90degress (only when stationary or else it drops back to zero when driving) the fan doesnt kick in,well i havent seen it kick in yet

oh and i opened the oil filler cap and it smelt more like the fuel tank,it absolutely reaks of fuel

4. danster Forum Addict

If the cooling system is getting air locked it could be the head gasket in this engine is on its way out or some other issue like cracked head or block. Has the engine been frozen at all? It sounds like the head gasket is able to hold the pressure when the engine is not under load at idle but when you start driving the cylinder pressures increase and it begins to pressurise the cooling system.
    I have also heard that the thermostat housings on these engines can cause an issue with cracking and not allowing the thermostat to open properly.
    The fuel smell from the crankcase breather could be due to the temp sender giving an inaccurate reading if it is sitting in a pocket of air from the cooling system pressurising and causing the ecu to overfuel.
    The lambda sensor can get damaged if they get contaminated with antifreeze getting into the exhaust from a headgasket failure.

5. gor131-x New Member

3rd engine and another head gasket! im giving up on this car,ive had it just over a month and the problems dont seem to stop!

i pulled the manifold off and im pretty sure the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator wasnt connected or it could be that i pulled it off and didnt realise,any idea where it end of that hose goes?

theres a small nipple in a black hose behind the engine block which is going into the crankcase,does it go into that?

6. gor131-x New Member

right,ive had a compression test done (thanks to bob property off gticlub forum) and the results came back as 150 per cylinder which means the engine is fine

BUT I THINK IVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

yeterday,i pulled the manifold off and this morning decided to fit the new one i bought from scrapyard(same manifold from the engine that is in the car now),i took the fuel rail off the old manifold and it wouldnt fit on this new one,so i went back to the garage and looked at my 1st engine,i pulled the fuel rail off that and put that on and it worked.

what the garage guys had done was before this engine,i got given a knackered engine by another scrapyard who claimed it was 1.4 but was actually a 1.6aee,he had put that manifold and injectors on to this engine,the manifolds are totally different,theres no niple fo the fpr vacuum hose to go into,anyway,i put the right manifold and fuel rail on and took it for a 30mile round trip on the motorway,the fuel needle ever so slightly dropped (compared to 1 whole bar dropping after 15 miles!)

also the temperature goes to around 70 degrees when driving rather than dropping to zero and the hoses dont get airlocked anymore?

im going to drive it for a week and see if the mpg has improved

i changed the oil and filter as the old oil stank of fuel

SILLY ERROR BY THE GARAGE MECHANIC CAUSE OF ALL PROBLEMS!

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

glad you seem to got it sorted !!

8. gor131-x New Member

i hope it has,will find out by next week