Rear axle bush tools-request for help

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by swisstony, Jun 4, 2019.

1. swisstony New Member

I have been reading up on this and aside from being a complete bastard of a job (which is true so far) I need some help if possible.

So the idea was to replace the existing rear axle that is on the car now with a cleaned up, painted and new bushes one . This is what we started with, nice !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So with a combination of flappy wheel, wire wheels, sandpaper, ginders etc, you get to this

[​IMG]

So some of the hard work has been done by basically whacking the hell out of the old bushes to get them off. air saw, chisel and you get these

[​IMG]

Will clean up the surfaces on the inside with sandpaper and die grinder to get it all smooth. Now this is where we need some help. There are kits available online to buy but they are £40 ! and this will be a one time job, I doubt I will be using it again well not for the next few years so instead of buying, has any kind person in here got one we can borrow. I am looking at these kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263429037545

https://www.gm-tools.eu/2680,rear-a...-vw-golf-iii-mk3-passat-35i-vento-puller.html

If you do, I am happy to pay for shipping just so we can complete this job and then send it straight back.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

seen it done with threaded bar and steel plates/sockets if you want a cheaper route. just need offcuts to pack out the bush on the curved side a bit. or bypass all that pain and go poly bushes instead, push right in. people who have done it seem to have no issues with them :)

3. swisstony New Member

Yes could go poly route but already purchased the topran bushes so we are committed to going this route. Dont really want to bodge it with packing material so was hoping some kind soul has done this before and has the installer tool kicking around his garage :) But might have to buy the set, use it and then sell it.

4. swisstony New Member

Actually thinking about it, maybe an idea is to sell the topran bushes we have and go poly route as you suggested as these are the same price as that removal tool links I posted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372063450553?ul_noapp=true

are these any good ? anyone had experience of them

5. rubjonny

they look good. make sure its the mk3 ones you need though, as some early mk3 had mk2 bushes which are a bit smaller.

and a tool is only a bodge if it doesnt work or damages the bush ;)

6. swisstony New Member

oh bugger, how do I know what size I have ?

7. rubjonny

measure the diameter ofp the new bushes you bought and see if they actually fit your beam :)

off the top of my head I think mk2 are 45mm and mk3 are 55mm, you'll want to double check that though!

8. swisstony New Member

we have the later mk3 so just checked and it looks like 55mm so think we are golden. Thanks for your advice , will just sell these topran ones as I doubt we can send them back now being purchased weeks ago. will clean up the inside bores of the axle and fit these when they turn up

9. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

I have a home made tool you can have asking as you to cover postage? It worked well fro my MK2 bushes

10. swisstony New Member

thank you very much for the offer but in hindsight and advice, have gone full poly bush route. Far less hassle we hope :)