Rear Axle Bushes

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Cian, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Cian Forum Member

I got me some back axle bushes and all going well a mate is going to fit them with me. He's not a VW head (freak :p ) so has asked can I get a little info as to what's involved.

Here are my thoughts from other bits of info I've gathered from other threads:

* Jack car up and put on axle stands
    * Remove rear wheels
    * Disconnect rear brake lines ??? Are they metal or rubber?
    * Disconnect hand brake cable
    * Remove bottom bolt from dampers
    * I've been told that the axle is only held in with two bolts, so remove them?
    * Take appropate socket and large hammer and use hammer to take out any of life frustrations on the socket to remove old bushes
    * Put a little WD-40 on new bushes to help them slide in with the use of above large hammer

His question was what really threw me..."where are the bushes, exactly?" [:$]

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Hi, are you replacing the bushes with standard ones? They are hard to get in and the old ones are very hard to get out, I and many others have had to cut the rubber out and then cut a slit in the metal sleeve then try and split the sleeve with a chisel, you can also burn the rubber out but it takes ages.

The brake lines will be solid brake lines just need to put a spanner on both and turn, I ended up putting new brake lines on as I made abit of a mess of undoing them.

Otherwise you list sounds spot on.

3. Cian Forum Member

Thanks.

Yeah, standard bushes, kind of sorry I didn't polly bush them now but it's not the end of the world. I'm not too worried about getting them in and out as the lad doing them is well used to it.

Where are the bushes on the axle? I know we'll see them straight away once the axle is off, just wondering all the same!

4. turbotommy Forum Member

X 2 Exactly right :thumbup:

Tis a b'stard to get out,poly's go back in alot easier mind.

5. mk28vICED Forum Member

check out my FAQ somewhere on here...

6. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

ive got these bushes in polly and have no intention what so ever in using them, if interested pm me and i will sort out a price(no more than a can of stella), from what i have been told its more hassle than its worth, the purist would say "do it" the sensible would say "if it aint broke, dont fix it",(my opinion and im not a mechanic).

7. Cian Forum Member

I already have the standard ones so no point in buying them again

:(

Thanks though

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

you'll see the bushes pretty quick, the two big bolts that the axle pivots on that you need to take off goes rite through them:thumbup:

9. Cian Forum Member

Ah, think I know what you mean 2dubnick, cheers fella :thumbup: