Rear beam braces - really needed ?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Aug 19, 2008.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

reason they arnt there is becasue their function is taken over by that rod link thats attached to the bush area
    edit: looks like the oem cross bits have been seem welded?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The rod link is a blade ARB.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is that extra bracing welded to the outside of the legs, or are all mk3 beams like that...

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I recall they might be - 2 secs, looking for pics

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, Golf 4 I was thinking of:

[​IMG]

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

those added on box sections are like those on the evo1 ibiza's - perhaps this supercedes the cross brace idea? and could be lighter if made full of holes

although if a DTC Golf 3 dont need em, i'm not sure I do either

8. Dogwood Forum Member

Just had a look at the Lupo BTC back axle and they do run braces. Comparing the two the triangular gussets welded in the corners are a bit bigger on the mk3 and go further down the arms towards the shocker pickup point.

I'm a bit uneasy about the whole thing like you Rob, as I don't have them on the Polo. I think the longer the arms on the axle, the more possibility there is of needing them.

Also, at hillclimb cornering speeds and typical corner length, i'm not sure if the difference would be noticable.

I'm trying to think of the easiest way of measuring how much deflection and toe change you are getting when the car is in use. Any ideas?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd never read that pdf - had to open it to check !

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

a couple measurements - I reckon the golf 2/3 rear axle has 3cm longer beam 'arms' than the ibiza - the curved strengthening plate on the inside corver of the beam is the same on both cars (29.5cm along its curved edge) but it extends much further down the arm on the ibiza than the golf giving I would guess more resistance to bending forces.

Both beams have outer edge supporting plates, lesser varieties of what chris posted the pics of above - if anything the golf one looks a bit more substantial

the golf 4 beam looks more flimsey than both (been under my Bora as well)

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97945&page=2

Just took a look at a Mk1 rear beam - above link post 32 from Maurice's car - and the later cars have so much more strength in them......I get less worried by the day about this being an issue

Only way I could think of measuring deflection without big bucks linear potentiometers etc would be a very soft nylon bolt fastened to the car and running very close to the wheel rim - with a pit of chewing gum on end - wind the bolt in and out till it disappears.....there's your deflection.....not sure I really want to know though (eeek)

There's a very fast multiple apex right at cadwell before the gooseneck - can feel the rear of the car bending with the load - but it runs ok and holds its line fine.....

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie