Rear brake line banjo crush washers - leaking

Discussion in 'Passat' started by rich81, Mar 6, 2011.

1. rich81 Forum Member

I'm sure many of you already know about the common failure with the rear brake lines on Passat, MKIV's, A6's etc. Basically they have aluminium crush washers fitted which corrode after a few years, giving a slow leak but can give out completely causing a loss of brakes (I'm surprised this was never an official recall).

I need to do this on my 98 Passat TDI however I'm wondering whether to go for new washers or just get a new brake line.

Does anyone know which size copper washers to get? It would be handy to buy them before stripping it down so I don't have to leave the car in the air and go hunting round for washers...

2. rich81 Forum Member

Ok well I removed these today and I can confirm that the size is 12mm ID x 17mm OD x 1.5mm Thickness.

The actual measurements were 12.2mm ID, 16.7mm OD and 1.3mm thick but this is after being crushed down.

For now I have replaced them with copper washers which aren't the correct size and thus there appears to be a tiny leak still there, though it is better than it was. I will look to replace these with some of the correct size as soon as I can get my hands one some. i would rather go with copper if I can to avoid the corrosion problem in future, however aluminium ones may be easier to find.

I will probably turn some aluminium ones at work next week and fit them if I can't find any anywhere.

I certianly didn't want to be buying new rear flex hoses just because of the washers...

3. nealey Forum Junkie

My mk2 to mk4 goodridge conversion hoses came with copper crush washers so they are available

4. rich81 Forum Member

Yep just found some M12 x 18 x 1.5 copper ones on ebay for a couple of quicd so they should do the trick :)

5. rich81 Forum Member

Update: Got the new ones which were the correct size, however the first set I fitted turned out to be fine anyway so left them on.