Rear Lower Than the Front

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by neath_jmj, Nov 17, 2003.

1. neath_jmj Forum Member

Recently i put some 17" alloys onto my mark3 gti golf and i have noticed that the rear is lower than the back, it looks to be by quite a bit, I want to lower my car but i aint sure i am gonna be able to lower it 40mm cause i think it may start rubbing so 30mm looks like its gonna be but why is the back lower than the frnt tho? Your help wud b great, cheers
    Edited by: neath_jmj

2. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

what engine have you got, and have you got a sub in the back, i put a fals floor in mine, it lowerd my car by an inch!!! that came back out straight away :)

3. neath_jmj Forum Member

its a 2 litre 8 valve gti and i aint got nothing apart from my space saver wheel in the boot

4. neath_jmj Forum Member

Any1 got any ideas? Is it perhaps something like my rear struts have worn or something?

5. neath_jmj Forum Member

I have just gone out in the rain and measured from the inside of the plastic arch straight doen to the front of the top of the tyre and i ahve got different measurements for each wheel! I may be doing this wrong but my measurements were - 6cm, 6.5cm, 5cm, 7cm whats going on? and how is the best way to find out how lower i can lower the car without rubbing?

Edited by: neath_jmj

6. neath_jmj Forum Member

Can any1 help me?

7. MrBen Forum Junkie

"They're all like it mate!!"

Mine was the same as standard, and when I fitted my Raceland kit, the rear end was very low - a bit unusable as a daily driver. Fortunately, the Raceland kit has adjustable height on the rear shocks, so I took it apart and raised it two slots (about an inch), and now it sits very slightly nose down, which looks much better and drives much better!

8. neath_jmj Forum Member

HHHHm does any1 else think the same?

9. eyesonly Forum Member

When i fitted a set of FK coilovers to my MK3, i noticed the car doesn't sit level. I set all the coilovers the same and fitted them but my corners were all different. I had to adjust each corner differently to get the car level.

The rear arches are always actually lower than the fronts on most cars, so when you lower them they look like the rear is to low. The only way of getting around that is fitting coilovers so you cat it perfect.

I also have mine set with a slight nose down which does improve handling on a mk3 imho. I get less understeer the car feels much more nuetral to under/oversteer now.

10. neath_jmj Forum Member

Ok so it looks like the rear being lower than the front is normal, so how can i find out how low i can go? I dont wanna do any modding to the arches, at the moment i cant afford coilovers, so springs are what i am gonna get so is it just a case of buying some springs and hoping the car dosnt rub or can i measure and find out?

11. thebluebus Forum Junkie

im in exactly the same boat as you mate. About to buy some springs coz i can't afford coilovers. but unsure how low i can go etc.....help! [:s]

12. G-FORCE Forum Member

I just have fitted to my MK3 GTI some 17" alloys running 204/45/17's and also had fitted the Vipertech 40mm lowering kit. the back is perfect with enough space for one finger to fit between the tyre and the top of the arch. Have had 4-up and no rubbing. :o

But!! the front is higer then the rear and I can fit about 2 1/2 fingers between top of tyre and arch.

Pics to follow............promise ;)