Rear sits lower than front

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Yorkie, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Yorkie Forum Member

I replaced my standard VAG suspension about 2 months ago for a Koni sports suspension kit with Vogtland springs. The rears ones went on a threat and look really good. However the front of the car looks like it's sat with it's nose pointing skyward. I've also noticed that the car's steering can go very light at times and the car doesn't feel right somehow.

Any ideas?

Will try to post a pic of the difference between front and rear.

2. loosenutz New Member

I've got te same with my mk2 jetta, ive got the SSk fitted but is a few years old now, the front sits a good inch higher than the back. I had put it down to having a lot of weight in the boot, but i also get a weird "vague" sensation through the steering, which i'm currently trying to track down.

3. Yorkie Forum Member

TFFT, I thought it was just me :)

My kit is the SSK11 by Koni. Not bad kit, and everything seemed to fit together nicely so I don't understand why the front sits higher than the rear.

The only way I can describe the steering is like someone turns on power steering and it becomes very effortless to sterring. If you come up with anything, please let me know.

Cheers m8.

4. vealige Forum Member

Most Mk2 golfs i see seem to sit on their ass so to speak? Why is this, mine sits really flat?

5. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, mine seems to sit level, bit higher on the back if anything. Not sure why this is, for some reason most kits seem to drop more on the back. The suspension on my 88' GTi spares car is standard and it sits lower on the back though....

6. Yorkie Forum Member

I'm convinced that the reason I get this "vague" senstion through the steering is because the cars not sat level.
    Edited by: Yorkie

7. squibby Forum Member

My mk2 had a lazy ass with a completely standard suspension. fitted stiffer -40mm springs and it still sits lower at the back, but not by as big a difference. no one seems to know why this is? :(
    Edited by: Squib

8. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

One of the common reasons for mk2s to sit lower at the back is worn out rear spring locators. When they "spead" the spring sits at an angle on the strut thus lowering the rear.

9. VR6Will Forum Member

Mine did it too, Lemming is right replace the rubber spring locator at the top of the rear strut, my old 1 was flattend like a pancacke compare to the new one, Mine sits level now!! [:D]

Edited by: oakgreen88

10. Yorkie Forum Member

Lemming & Oakgreen. Before you replaced these rubber spring locators on the rear struts, did you have this "vague" steering at times when you were driving? (Steering becomes very light all of a sudden)

11. VR6Will Forum Member

not really, do you have power steering? tracking and chamber ok? its not the road surface changing or anything like that? driving style?

12. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

i replaced the whole rear shock assembly as i dont think it had ever been changed since the day it rolled of the production line!!

i just went to VAG and got every bit from the bump stop upwards, only cost 32 in total, combined with new rear shocks & the cars sits dead level now.

Craig
    91 16v