Rear speakers in a Mk1 Cabby

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Dano, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Dano Forum Member

There are 4" rear speakers in the rear behind the original trim cards.When I replaced the old speakers for the new one I expected a marked improvement but theres little.
    Has anyone found a way of encapsulating the speaker inside a 'box' to direct the sounds towards the interior rather than being lost inside the panel?
    Any suggestions welcome.Ta

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Also bear in mind that the original wiring is going to be between 10 and 23 years old so that can contribute to poor sound.

Browsing through the forums at www.talkaudio.co.uk (thanks to Tim for recommending) I notice that the use of Pink Panther(?) roof insulation is very popular at the moment for stuffing into cavities. Dirt cheap from B+Q but don't forget gloves and mask!

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh, i recommend you sound deaden the panel behind the panel, it is good to have some air for the speaker to move in behind the panel, but if there is too much then sound will be lost.

do you find that the panel resonates a fair amount?
    - if it is then it would be a good idea to stop this some how, bracing the panel some how,

i think some ppl use resin to stifen up panels, although i have never tried it!

tim

4. Dano Forum Member

I was thinking of changing the wiring.There used to be the old roller switch on the dash board...I think it once was the fader (?) but it didn't work..so I chopped it!There rear wires were,like wired 4 into 3 so the balance didn't operate either so new wiring is my next route.
    Cheers!