Rear sway bar

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by 71racevw, Dec 10, 2006.

1. 71racevw New Member

Was there an option for a rear sway bar on the 1984 Rabbit? I looking for improvements for our 1/4 mile circle track car, and am trying to correct the under steer problem, Any photos , or information on rear sway bars is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

3. 71racevw New Member

sway bar

I do not see a sway bar ( or anti roll bar) in that photo. I see that they have triangulated the axle with some relay rods, but no sway bars. I am wondering based on the design of the rear trailing axle if there is any advantage to using a sway bar since the axle would rise or fall nearly equally on the left to right.
    Still open to suggestions, and thanks.

4. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

VW fitted anti-roll bars (sway bars) as standard to some models of the Mk1 Golf/Rabbit. According to ETOS, the 1984 GTI had a 20.5mm rear (part # 171 511 409) if that's any help. (For reference the front is 175 411 309.)

Eibach make/made uprated front and rear anti-roll bars/sway bars for the Mk1 Golf/Rabbit.

Hope this helps!

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

yea there is... its bolted into the webs adjacent to the main beam section.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Only other kind of setup i can think your on about is something like this:

[​IMG]

Which was drastic, expensive & totally custom made.

7. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

Going on from the other post that 71raceVW has made, it appears that he might not have a GTI chassis - hence no rear anti-roll bar (sway bar).

I took his posts to mean that he just wanted to know if the Mk1 ever came with them as standard on any models.

??

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

In which case if you see the two holes about an inch down from the top of the axle horizontal section: they are the factory inner mount holes for the OE ARB, and should be present on a 1984 axle, even if no bar is fitted.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

What do you think of the Eibach rear anti roll bars? because looking at mine they don't seem to look as effective as other makes i have seen.

10. 71racevw New Member

Rea sway bar

My rear axle appears to have the two pair of holes that allow the sway ARB from a GTI model to be installed. I would love to build the independent rear suspension as posted, as this would be the ultimate for sure. I will experiment with various ARB until I encounter the left rear wheel lifting on the track, and then back off the diameter, or bar length. There are some limitations based on the simple and light trailing axle design, but I will still beat those Honda's somehow.
    Thanks for the help!

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

If it's on a circular track does that mean you set the car angles up for one direction?

12. 71racevw New Member

The car is set up for counter clockwise on a banked 1/4 mile oval track. Right front camber is -3.5 degrees camber, left is +2.0. I have the rears to about -1.0 degrees camber. Best tire patch is confirmed with taking tire temperature reading. Its a beginner class for my two teenage boys and they have a blast. Lots of rules to restrict cost and speed, but rules are subject to interpetation.
    Anyway, I still feel that I have two much push, ( understeer) and wanted to try ARB at the rear.
    I will search for an ARB from a GTI.
    Thanks for the help, best forum that I have ever joined!

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Try the gti one & maybe the later uprated ones a few company's have made after that.

Maybe if some people could post a pic of theirs on here we can compare because i am sure there are are at least two types for the rear where the ends attach to?

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Neuspeed 28mm rear anti-roll/sway bar.

[​IMG]

15. 71racevw New Member

Thanks, the photo posted by MK1 driver is a big help. I will search out for a sway bar, as I will also go to the Neuspeed web site. Just courious, did you notice any improvements handling after the install of the ARB?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  16. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Difficult to say improvement wise as I changed so much on the car, 1.3 > 1.8 16v engine, new suspension, new bushes, different wheels...

The current setup is FK coilovers, Bugpack bushes, standard GTI front anti-roll bar (19mm?), 28mm Neuspeed rear bar, OMP front lower strut brace, ET38 steel wheels. (front camber -1.25 degrees)

The car feels very nimble (noticed a good improvement from firmer axle bushes) and is really stable on wide open circuits.

Not much help really but if you haven't already got a GTI rear anti-roll bar, you should definately notice a difference from one fitted. A front lower strut braces helps as well but it doesn't look as though you can use one in the regs, likewise with a larger aftermarket anti-roll bar?

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

I will get a pic up of my eibach rear if no-one does over the weekend as i dont think they connect to the same place as the on Neuspeed one?

18. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Would an anti roll bar have much of an effect on the back of a Golf with a solid axle??

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Does have a slight effect & it depends where it connects up.

20. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Where does the standard one on a mk2 mount up? Isnt it built into the axle on GTIs? So you cant put one onto a non GTI?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, just curious.