Rear Washer Leak.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by 6xax, Mar 22, 2010.

1. 6xax New Member

Not sure if this is in the correct section, sorry.

I've discovered that my rear wash line is leaking above the roof lining on the rear passenger side.
    Any ideas/tips about the best way to repair or renew the piping would be gratefully appreciated.

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

what car,i had this problem once,i cut the pipe at the front (on a mk2) tied some string to it and also tied some string to the rear bit,pull it through gently till you see the bit thats damaged,repair with central locking rubber pipe then pull it back through from other end with the string,make sure string is attatched good and cant pull off
    or do the same but renew whole pipe

3. 6xax New Member

Thanks Neil, had already thought of similar idea.
    Car is Y reg Mk IV, this appears to be a common fault.

4. blighty Forum Member

I have this problem which I recently noticed 2 or 3 days ago, only its coming out of my drivers rear arch. Whats the best way to attach the string to it?

5. alexisblades99 Forum Member

mine's doing this as well. must be the cold weather freezing the rear squirter, then when you try to squirt the pressure blows the pipe apart.

mine's a mk2, but i was going to try removing the interior trim to get to it, don't know how hard that would be on a mk4..

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i just coiled the string round the pipe about three inches then wrapped sellotape tightly around it all,if you put the string in a straight line it may just pull out of the tape

7. blighty Forum Member

ahh yes, good idea. [:D] you pulled it through the boot too or did you disconnect it and rejoin it just before it enters the boot bung?

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

on a mk2 there is a join (well there is on mine) under the o/s/r turret,and the problem was not the tailgate end but id imagine trying to pull it through the tailgate and those rubber boots would be fairly tight
    the pipes sometimes snap in that rubber boot

9. blighty Forum Member

ahh right, ideal, cheers. I will have a proper look tomorrow if the weather is dry. :)