rear wiper not working

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by tonyvw, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

mine is the actual wiper stalk (CE1 wiring) :( it all looks very simple its just contacts when you take it apart but alas no good. i have a wiper stalk where fronts work & rear doesnt, and then another stalk where rear works but front doesnt

2. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

I,ve just had this problem with mine (CE1 fusebox), Stalk pushed forward washer motor works but no wiping action.
    Dismantled it and found a broken wire as in the pics below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For information for people that may have this problem, to check for broken wires before ripping it all apart test the resistance between the following:
    relay position 11 pin 3 to the grey/black wire on the wiper motor plug (permanent live)
    relay position 11 pin 2 to the green/black wire on the wiper motor plug (switched live)
    Battery Earth to brown wire on the wiper motor plug.

You should get a reading of 0Ω for each, if not then you have an open circuit i.e. broken wire.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

mine never worked! found out i never had the relay in! plugged in of she went

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks for the info timotei1980, and the good pics.

Mine stopped mid-wipe this morning and I'm hoping to have a look tomorrow lunchtime if I get a chance. Will make a super long lead for my multimeter. :)

Edit: Yep, found a brown wire broken, an inch and a half out from the hole in the roof, should be enough to get hold of for an EZ fix. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Another vote for the stuck mechanism if the wiring is checking out ok. Had this on my mk2, seems a common problem judging by the amount of responses on here lol.

Cleaned 20 years of muck out of the wiper motor and mechanism, relubed and bobs your uncle. It's not an MOT failure if thats concerning you.

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

*Snap* - I've had mine for almost a year and it also worked when I bought it, albeit very slowly - now it has stopped working altogether.

I'm thinking it is seized, but I have absolutely no desire to go delving in this weather/season. All I've wanted to do with my cars for the last couple of months is drive them, same for everyone else?