recommend where to buy a MK4 Door Lock Module?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by bootsie, Oct 14, 2014.

1. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

My wife's V6 4motion has suddenly started triggering the alarm and I'm pretty convinced it's the passenger side door lock module playing up. The door open indicator sometimes doesn't light when the door is open and vice-versa.
    I bought two of these modules (o/s and n/s) from eBay about a year ago and both have failed twice! To be fair to the seller they have replaced the items no problem, but I'm just getting sick of stripping the entire door down to change the module out now.
    Can anyone recommend where to buy a door lock module from that isn't ridiculously expensive (I recall the dealer price being silly) but is likely to last more than 6 months without me having to change it out? I haven't seen these parts at GSF or ECP but I'm not sure they'd be any better quality than what I've had anyway, unless someone knows any better.

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they generally die due to cracked solder pads on the circuit boards, not too hard to strip the units down and resolder if you're into that kind of thing? maybe a blob of glue gun hot glue to help support the joint, its easily chipped off again if the joints go bad

3. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I did try doing that to the original (OEM) one but it was horrible to strip down (maybe there's an easy way I didn't find?) and when I got there all the joints were fine. I assumed it was the microswitch itself rather than the PCB. It didn't look like it could be replaced, so I swapped out the whole unit.
    John you're quick off the mark with these things, do you know what the cost of a replacement is from a dealer? (NSF 4motion 2001 3dr, 3B1 837 015A I think)

4. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

I replaced mine door lock module and it cost 122.58 @ TPS ( 2003 Mk4 Golf GT TDI 3 door Passengers side) Includes the VAT

Buying non-genuine parts for complex electrical items is a false economy in my experience, you wanna fit it and forget about it, and no one puts the quality into them like VW.

part number was 6X2837013N (I have receipt for latch so im assuming its this lock module)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for a MK4 golf 2001 the part number is 6X2837013H, 116+VAT from VW. 6X2837013N comes up as a 2003 model not really sure why the difference?

with the H one there is a remark 'change control cable' so i assume thats different somehow. 3B1837015A comes back as superceeded passat part, it may have been fitted to the Golf as well at some point I suppose

the control cable might refer to the one to the handle, if so the 3 door one is 1J3837085E and costs 7+VAT

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i ended up getting a few spare second hand lock modules after one went on my tdi
    plenty people breaking mk4's so you should get no problem

change it as soon as you can mine got to the point i couldn't get the door open

was lucky to get it open after slamming a few doors

it's not to bad a job to change
    i'd look for a how to on youtube save's a bit of messing about if you know what you looking at

7. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Think I'll do the same and scour ebay for genuine ones from a breaker.
    I've changed these four times in the last year so I'm getting good at it now!

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I got two from hear Dan was breaking a mk4 at the time
    And I got a second pair off someone up hear

I see two mk4 are getting broken on hear just now

9. ragitaround Forum Member

Hello my passenger rear door lock pin sometimes dont come up wen i press twice on key fob for all the locks to open, its a pain wen i get my kids in the car coz i have to get in the back press the key fob again whilst pulling the interior door handle then it unlocks. How weird is that as it then works how it should for ages then does it again lol .spect ill have to source a replacement soon. So if anyones got one from breaking theres for parts ill be interested . 2003 mk4 golf 1.8t AUM 150bhp