Reducing roll MK1

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Keith's Dad!, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

We need to cut down on roll within the regs.

This link will take anyone interested to the official regs.

http://www.750mc.co.uk/Racing/regulations/pdf/2005 Regs -%20Stock%20Hatch.pdf

We have heard another VW model has an interchangable rear roll bar we could fit. But what about the front. One of the problems we have with the MK1 is it is quite tall compared with most of our competition. I think changing the rear and tailgate glass with plastic may help a bit, also hole cutting some of the metal around the roof structure (inside of course). We are only 10kg over the limit so may end up needing a bit of ballast low down in the car.

So any other ideas would be welcomed.
    Edited by: Keith's Dad!

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

How about geting custom springs made which are of the same diameter of the factory ones but with a much higher spring rate. Go for 450-500 lbs rear springs and 350lbs front springs. They will be very stiff and reduce body roll hugely. They will also induce oversteer as the rear would be stiffer than the front. Infinity has done a similar thing with coilover springs and uses standard ARBs on his lightweight mk1 and he gets less bodyroll than my car even though he is on slicks and i'm on road tyres. Actually he gets hardly any roll at all! By the looks of the regs, there is nothing restricting this mod.

Also, would re-building of standard shocks with different valving be allowed? Doesn't seem to say you cant change it.
    Edited by: vw_singh

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Sorry to hi-jack but are these custom springs an off-the-shelf part as I've seen it mentioned quite a few times but last time I checked the Eibach catalogue you need all sorts of spec on the springs for them to make some. My Driver specs for the springs will be all wrong for custom ones as the dampers/springs are 15mm different from GTI ones.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Demon tweeks motorsport catalogue normally list stuff but I'm not entirly sure if they do those particular ones. Contacting some one like AVO or Spax directly might solve your problem.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

If you use higher poundage springs on fixed height shoks you will need shorter length extended springs to keep the ride height the same...

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I think he can lower it as long as the car can be driven over a 75mm block placed under any point under the car according to section 5.6.1 in the regs.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'm thining more about making sure he didn't raise it too much...

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

The downside of going for stiffer springs is you might make it unstable/twitchy over the kerbs, and you'll get less warning before it lets go....I guess there's only one way to find out.

You'll probably find you want a very stiff set for smoother tracks, and less so for bumpy tracks / tracks with big kerbs / wet weather conditions.

I guess the reality is that you need to do the weight removal / redistribution first, AND optimise the suspension if you want to push on up the field.

Edited by: mikehorsb

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Its funny, Infinity's car has still outhandled me in the wet even when his car is stiffer (when h had a standard engine). It will make it more twitchy but its a race car so i'm sure it'll b ok.

10. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Like the advise, all seems sensible. Aurok have already modified the damper valves and are dubious about increasing spring rates as we are quite high already. They have often told us many people over stiffen springs which may make the car feel like an F1 but don't help get it round a corner as quick as possible. We need to maintain a degree of compromise as we can't have a different set of suspension componentsfor every circuit, we can't afford it.

We only have 10mm to play with on hight. We could go another 5 but need a margin as it will enevitably settle lower as the season progresses.

We need a brain wave from someone, what have we not thought of?

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i think that it's worth addressing the things that yuo know you can do to start with

1, remove high up weight, then ballast low down if need be (plastic windown for tailgate and side windows)

2, new arb bushes at the front

then see what effect that has, then you can look at what else you can start to change, like spring rates etc

12. AndrewF Forum Addict

off topic, you get stuff done at aurok...you based down near me then?

13. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a big ass rear torsion bar you could have - that'd give plenty of "low down ballast"

14. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Dex, you didn't read my earlier post then???

15. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Don't know, where are you then?

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Are you not allowed a front lower strut brace? Essential mod on a Mk1 Golf. They were standard on Rocco 16vs werent they, Dex?? And loads of places sell them.
    Edited by: Deako

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

near reading

18. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Paul - yep read the post - was just re-iterating some of the items you've already identified that i think can make a big difference

Deako - i believe the mk1 Golf Cab also has a front lower strut brace as std, it might be considered acceptable since the Mk1 Cab is a *derivative* of the tintop - worth looking into for definite!

19. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

We are in Alresford, only about 15 mins from Aurok. How do you know them then??

20. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Oh right, read your post again. Yes I think we will do that. Not sure about the pickup bits as far as regs are concernedbut may be worth looking at. May even compensate for window weight removed as I assume this would be an addition. Aurok have suggested sleaving the exiting roll bar to stiffen it. A bit illegal I think but I will look at what they are thinking about doing before I reject it. Oh Dex, bushes are very difficult to change from standard. We actualy asked for clarification on the regs about this and we were told in no uncertain terms, that ALL suspension bushes MUST be standard RUBBER as fitted at factory. This closes the door on that one.

I've got to say that I am convinced some of our competitors do not stick to the regs, but as this is our first season we can't afford to be seen cheating andnor do we wish to. However if we can gain any advantage WITHIN the regs then we should and will do.