remapping ABF digi 3.2

Discussion in '16-valve' started by lufbramatt, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lufbramatt Forum Member

been thinking about this for a while, as i feel im not getting as much as i could be out of the lump ive got.

current spec is:

rebuilt 8000 miles ago with all new VW bearing shells, honed bores, new rings, oil seals etc
    vagobonds ported head (deshrouded valves, 3 angle seats etc, was a really nice job)
    decat
    modded airbox (as per ess threes thread)
    standard digi 3.2 ecu with immobiliser (which i want to keep as its installed properly with the ignition barrel out of the donor car)

car has been scanned and isnt throwing up any fault codes and runs sweet as a nut with good mpg.

bearing the above in mind, what do people think is the next step to eek out a few more bhp?

from reading around it looks like a remap will involve swapping the rom in the ecu for a mappable one. is there anyone around that can still do this? AMD seems to come up a lot, but there are also tales of poor maps from them and they dont like doing older cars?

does anyone have any definative results from the ebay chips that are about 50 quid?

not sure what to do next tbh

2. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

3. lufbramatt Forum Member

good link, they can do it, 269 tho. anyone have experience of them?

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Lots of simple technical articles on site somewhere too.

Looks like they are heavily into their F**ds

I chatted to them a few years back re live mapping a MK3 8V I had but it never happened as I wrote it off shortly after - Was gutted never to see the difference pre and post mapping as it had been reworked a fair bit.

Doubt you'll get live mapping for 270 but their communication back then was good and they were happy to take the time to talk to me.

I'll prob use them whenever I get around to doing the head/bottom end etc but that's likely to be a while. [:^(]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. lufbramatt Forum Member

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i believe those ebay chips actually make a difference and will help if you have done head work + mods etc. Other than that its standalone management i think

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

From the ebay link:
    'If you have ecu with number 037906024AE or 037906024BE, you'll have to send it to me to chip it.'

Tosh... AE & BE have EEPROM sockets so no idea why he needs the ECUs

I'd save the extra pennies and go with a custom calibration esp as you have headwork.

If you are thinking about it it's maybe worthwhile contacting some of the buyers of the ABF chips & asking their opinion?

8. nealey Forum Junkie

what about speaking to stealth racing?

9. azur Forum Member

Theres something different about 037 906 024 BE. I booked mine in for a custom code rechip.. guy was about to do it then found out he couldn't for one reason or another... can't remember exactly

Had to be sent to CC HQ. Worked out well in the end though :thumbup:

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id like software to remap my own. i do have a spare chip

11. s1m0n Forum Member

Do you know if there is software available, or is it a case of messing with emulators?

Cheers

Simon

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not the first clue mate. i recon toyotec may know though

youd need a lot of gear though. something to measure knock and a real time exhaust gas anaylser thing

13. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

^^ Roughly translates into 'lots of cash' :lol: Cheaper going the MS route by far, alhtough you'll still need a wideband lambda sensor and an EGT to do with with bells n whistles... Although the EGT can be really inexpensive if you just wanna use a DVM and a decent thermocouple

14. s1m0n Forum Member

I'll have to speak to Vince.

Measuring det / knock is "det cans" i.e. bit of copper pipe bolted to the block and connected to an old pair of ear defenders with a bit of rubber pipe (seriously, it's what Tickford use in the dyno cells).

Would my LM1 do for an exhaust sniffer or should I use the MoTec PLM? ;)

Maybe... It would be nice to just re calibrate the stock ECU myself though, I used to get paid to do this, just not to ABF's...

15. Ess Three Forum Member

No you don't...
    Just hook it up to the standard narrow band Lambda and run the Vex files through Megatune many times...it'll trim the fuelling in to pretty close to spot on for a NA car.

Mine needed very little tweaking on the dyno after road mapping and using Megatune...in fact all we did is try swinging the AFR to get more power - which we failed to find - and used the dyno to set the ignition advance.

You can get very close on the cheap using MS.

16. s1m0n Forum Member

I think MS is quite good even before you take the cost into consideration and I'm sure I'll end up using MS, it would just be cool to have a play inside the stock ECU first...

17. Ess Three Forum Member

I'm back on Digi 3.2 as MS didn't offer anything over the Digi 3.2 once it was properly mapped.
    I had a few theories I wanted to try out that required access to mapping...and MS didn't solve them...so I stuck with the 'better' protection of the std ECU complete with knock sensors etc.

Fortunately my set up is plug and play...so I can swap MS to Digi 3.2 in the time it takes to remove the scuttle trim and swap over the ECU plug.

If I had access to map the standard ECU...it would be ideal. But I don't.

And for ITBs, it'll have to be Standalone designed Alpha-n...whereas my MS runs a MAP sensor.

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you have a full program like Winols and a Moats emulator you can mess around with the stock ecu.

19. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

That's good news then... Less to fork out in the long run. :)

20. s1m0n Forum Member

Hmmm Don't have WonOLS any more and at 1600Eu not likely to have any time soon :lol: though when I used it I did not think much of it to be honest...

A friend of mine has just got an Ostrich 2.0 for use with his Honda [xx(] I'll have to give him a call...!

I've used TunerPRO (back in 05/06) I wonder if he has a definition file for the ABF ECU

This is getting interesting, if I got this up an running (real time, individual re-cal's) would any of you be interested?

Cheers

Simon