Removal of late spec. Mk2 splined steering wheel adaptor and ignition assy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by theboymike, Jan 26, 2010.

1. theboymike Forum Junkie

As above, I'm trying to remove the complete ignition assy (barrel, switch and alloy housing) from the steering column. I've removed the cap head clamp bolt, and now the assy will float along the axis of the column but won't come off due to the splined adaptor / spacers and top bearing.

I've tried a bearing puller on the adaptor but there's not really enough of a lip for to get any purchase. Does anyone have any ideas? It's soaking in WD40 at the moment in an effort to free it up a bit.

I'm assuming that once this is off the whole ignition assy should just lift off?

Cheers :)

2. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

clamp some mole grips or pliers round it loosely, so they're butted up to the lip, then try your puller. worst case, do the ign lock housing bolt back up then thread the wheel nut back on loose. p[ut a bit of wood on the end of the column then give it a good tap with a hammer, this will cause inner column to collapse and spline adaptor will pop right off.

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was just about to suggest the mole grips idea too. This is how I've always done it and it always works.

5. rubjonny

not always, i went round 5 cars in a scrappy trying this and it failed on every single one, though they had been open to the elements for god knows how long. never failed on cars I've tried that have been looked after mind :thumbup:

6. mattneck Forum Member

iVE GOT A CUSTOM MADE TOOL HERE FOR THA...oops caps..!

Custom made tool here for exactly that copied from the VAG one.. I'll get a pic up in a bit!

If enough people want them I could look at getting a bunch machined up? Could be useful to someone? :thumbup:

7. rubjonny

I'd prob have one for shizzle n gizzle :thumbup:

8. theboymike Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the responses :)

I'll have another dig around the workshop tomorrow to see if the old chap has a proper bearing separator lying around. Failing that I'll try the mole grips..

Thinking a bit of correct ID tube cut in half and secured with cable ties / mole grips might work with the puller too.

Don't really want to have to buy tools to do this job since the parts I'm pulling to bits are hardly worth a lot..

Cheers again ;)