Removing exhaust manifold and downpipe

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by jmsheahan, May 23, 2019.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I need to remove the downpipe on my Mk2 Golf. For the life of me I can't remember if I fitted it before with the engine in or out.

My question is can the whole lot be removed with the engine in situ (tilting forwards?) and without dropping the subframe?

It's and 8v GTI downpipe bolted to a stock ABF cast exhaust manifold. And probably a 4 branch going back in.

Many thanks!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I managed to squeeze a 16v manifold and MK3 downpipe round the back while engine all bolted in the car, but it was very tight. with the 8v downpipe I dont think it would be doable as its much longer, but if you pushed the engine forward you would probably be ok.

I would split the manifold from the downpipe first, that'll give you a lot more wiggle room and it'll all probably come out from above no bother

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Nice one thanks cheers RJ. Sounds like there may be some expletives involved then especially with getting a 4 branch back in :lol:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah I would think engine needs pushing forward a bit to get the new one in there!