Removing mirror glass

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

I need to change the motor mechanism and dont want to break the mirror glass (its heated and has the wide angle section - hard to get). Any tips for getting the glass off without wrecking it! Cheers, Matt

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

As far as I recall it just clips into place. You need to very carefully prise it off.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I believe Phil is correct, and it clips in/out - I would recommend that you gently use a couple of those plastic trim-removing tools (the ones that are angled) and have someone else there to ensure the bugger doesn't fall out and hit the ground.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Plastic trim tool, tilt mirror glass to side, and carefully pry it off, I actually use a steel rule to get the transit one off at work (need both mirror parts out to change the side repeaters on them)
    Just be careful, you can peer in and see if tilt the glass.

Admittedly this is a polo mirror motor, but mk2 fits on this exactly the same, clips on back of glass snap over the middle circle.

Attached Files:

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thank you both. Will use plastic tools.

6. davidut5 Forum Member

Use them to pry near the clips, glass breaks when you force them from the side with your fingers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  7. Matt Golf Forum Member

You mean lever from the top/bottom near the middle?

8. davidut5 Forum Member

No, you wont have access there. Turn the mirror as far at it can go to left or right and use a tool to pry between mirror backing plate and adjusting frame, as well as pulling gently with your fingers from the side. If you have one of the old manual tossed around you can practice on one of those.

9. watercooled Forum Member

Hi dodgy ,from your picture I see the 2 holes on the motor frame ,presume the mirror glass frame clips into those holes ? ,I have a corrado mirror that I need to pop the glass out,is the fitment the same ? ,never had an electric mirror apart and don't want to bugger it ,thanks.

10. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure about heated glass but certainly the manual mirror glass has a circular area in the centre with adhesive the glues to the plastic backing plate as well as the clips mentioned above. I’ve always found heating the centre of the glass with a hair dryer really softens the adhesive which is otherwise very tacky and difficult to part.

AndyBa likes this.
  11. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The holes don't fit anything as far as I remember.

I've just found these pics from ebay that show back of mk2 mirror, the clips fit around the circle bit in mirror body, and don't need too much effort to pop them off. Screenshot_20231005-125740_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20231005-125720_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20231005-125704_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20231005-125747_eBay.jpg
    2 different listing, but hopefully will give some idea as to fitment.
    I found the mk2 mirror fitted a polo 9n3 motor still, so I started adapting the motors to fit mk2 shells, very easy.

12. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thank you!

dodgy likes this.
  13. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks that makes sense thanks for the pics,cheers mate.

dodgy likes this.
  14. watercooled Forum Member

Well I don't want to further hijack this thread however happy camper as instead of removing the glass I had read on here the switches are the main issue with these mirrors,pretty sure RJ replied to that effect ?,pulled apart the one on there and some ass had pulled the switch apart and lost most connector contacts and springs were missing,no way in hell it was going to work ,had a spare switch but suspected it would be corroded on the contact board so without pulling apart I give it a clean with non plastic eating contact cleaner and was surprised the amount of crap that came out.
    Bingo won a prize as RH mirror now working but not the LH but really not too worried @ this stage as its most likely just sticking.
    Cheers .

15. Matt Golf Forum Member

Took my door panel off and discovered the plug into the mirror loom was not fully home. Fixed without the risk of busting the glass. Phew!