Removing Mk1 seat rails FAQ

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by A.N. Other, Feb 27, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Quickly pulling various info together out of the tubular seat rails thread and my Mk1 thread.

1) Start with a wipe of the inner rail area with thinners, to remove grease and reveal the dimples in the metalwork from the spot welds.

There are 6 or so spot welds per side (visible on inspection), plus 4 Migd bits, top & bottom, at each end. The front parts need angle grinding, and can be trimmed back with a belt sander later (below).

[​IMG]

2) Centre punch, and then start with the spot weld cutter. Careful not to drill for too long, or youll create holes (and may as well be using a normal drill).

Frosts spot weld drill recommended - ~ 12 - also sold by LB Restorations as seen at various shows (Beaulieu, NEC Classic). Machine Mart ones are no good do not bother.

Pic here, from 16valver:

[​IMG]

Tips

• A trick is to start at one end, and hammer a screwdriver down the back, to get tension between the metal parts. Once the spotweld drill gets through the first half, it should ping apart.

• Due to the stiffness of a seat rail, you cant rely on this though, and need to keep checking. Otherwise youll be MIG-ing up holes afterwards.

• Also recommend one of these belt sanders, rather than the sledge-hammer/nut angle grinder, except for where necessary.

Black & Decker belt sander / power file. Great bits of kit.

From B&Q - linky

[​IMG]

Takes a while to get these out as it is, and patience is needed to avoid hole through the floor/tunnel! Estimate 2-3 hours to carefully remove your first one.

End result:

[​IMG]

Estimated 1.3 kgs/pair.

HTH :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Rapid_Gav likes this.
  2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheers Chris

3. andyneedham2 Forum Member

OK guys,

So I ballsed up a bit and made a mess of removing the rail on the exhaust tunnel and went right through. Is this just a single skin or is there more to it? I'm thinking of cutting out a strip and welding in a new piece, prob 1mil thickness.

Any help is much appreciated.

Andy

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea just single skin. Tack a strip over it.

Gurds

5. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Gurds, that was exactly the answer I wanted! I'll tack a strip over and then waxoyl the underside.

Can't wait to see this turbo project unfold!

Cheers,

Andy