Removing/reducing torque steer?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by 1990, Dec 1, 2003.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats what i do at the moment and i love it, hugh grin factor.

I could do to get my camber/geo looked at, it does pull straigh non handed but my front wheels are in that much at the top it looks a bit daft, its the only bit of my car i dont like.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

well...those tyres (if aything like the kuhmo ecsta's i had on my last car) aren't that good. think f1's are the way to go really, altho toyo's are apparantly very good and i like uniroyals myself.

3. prof Forum Addict

Honda just make the short shaft weaker so it twists the same as the long one, clever little fellas

4. edc1 Forum Member

Just hold on tighter!

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Deffinitely change the tyres, a bloke at work said eagle f1`s transformed his saab turbo, he didn`t have decent ones on before..

At the moment you may be getting loss of traction which will amplify any torque steer you may be feeling.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You said in yor first post the wheels were spinning, sounds like a traction problem to me.

7. madmk4 Forum Member

Make a huge difference if the tracking and camber isnt spot on both sides.

Same would go for if one sides wishbone bushes are mre worn than the other for example.

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

My syncro box has almost equal length driveshafts, I can't really tell if it makes much difference as I have the ATB diff as well. but I can tell you now that the combination of the 2 is phenominal.

Just try driving with both hands on the wheel and just steer the f*cker where YOU want it to go, not where it wants to go. one of the disadvantages of FWD unfortunately.

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I might have got some winter wheels off mk1inbits (when my computer lets me check my emails [:x] ) They have michelin pilot MMX tyres ??, they must be better than my kuhmo's, i've also got another set of Andy (acf8181) with no tyres so i might go for the F1's on them.

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

cool...so you can have winter wheels AND trackday wheels!

get some road legal slick thingy's for the trackday wheels, f1's for winter (tho if on a budget uniroyal's are very good in wet/slippy conditions)...and f1's for summer!

i've got some michelin pilot something or others at the mo and they ain't as good for traction or under braking (yet equal on lateral grip) than my previous tyres (uniroyal rallye 540 - i really like those tyres!)

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Think I've mentioned that already Mart ;)

12. matt989 Forum Member

im not sure about this but i dont think it is the torsional stiffness tht causes torque steer, i think its the different angles created by the different lengths (im not sure, ill check it out n come back n give my apology if im wrong)if i am right tho, making one shaft less tosinally stiff than the other wont solve it......

ill check tht out n get back to you on it.......

13. GTI

GTI Forum Member

it seems that the difference in torsional stiffness causes the geometry to differ, as the reduced forces applying to the suspention on the long driveshaft side effect less toe-in.

14. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

eagle f1 are the vote for me!!