Renewal time...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by mk2vivs, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mk2vivs Forum Member

just got my renewal from AF and as expected this year has gone up.Ive been driving 2 years with no claims and im 29 driving a mk2 golf 1800 driver that has cat1 alarm and immobiliser.Anyone point me in the direction of some good insurers to try for cover as i dont fancy paying 860.....for 3rd FnT
    Thanks

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Both of my insurance's went down this year. Im with Tesco's though.

400 a year on the Mk2 - 520 for the Mk4 1.8T. Both fully comp with all the extras.
    Im 25 and living near London!

Give them a try with the online quote, worked out to be the cheapest for me when i was looking. :thumbup:

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Wow that's really good Rich - Is that with the engine swap?

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

be VERY careful with places like tesco.. its cheap, but cheap for a reason! check your excess, and not just the stated.. one quote for me had an extra excess hidden in the small print which was an extra 500!

you get what you pay for,

I would call brentacre, alway worth a shount unless it maddly modded or you want an agreed value,

AF will budge if you push them they always do!

HIC - sister company to AF but will compete if you push them (keep quiet that you have a quote from AF and if they call your bluff state you want to leave as they are giveing you a joke quote! done that before they beat them by a fair bit :lol:)

Greenlight - again very reasonable unless you need an agreed value

Footman james - others say they are cheap and good. then insured me for my first year but ever since they ahve been a mental price for me on both the toy and the daily!

Peter best - seem to get rave reviews on here, didn't like the toy when I asked them, but asked for a quote on the daily as the mod list on that isn't 2 sides of A4 :lol: so should be able to do something for me.

also don't be afraid to be cheeky, they all want to quote the highest price they can get away with, always push them and ask for a better price..tell them if its too good to miss you will happly pay now, but if they only just beat the next cheapest then tell them you will be giving the others a chance to beat their quote.. they will either drop again or say they can't inwich case call up the next cheapest and try the same trick I shaved over 100 off before doing this.. not bad for a hour on the phone :thumbup:

5. mk2vivs Forum Member

thanks for the input guys. Down to 670 so far with FJ but going to try hic now then back to flux to see if they can match or beat it;)

6. mk2vivs Forum Member

Greenlight said i have to have been driving 3yrs.....
    Peter best...woah dont think anyone is going to touch that quote!unreal...Glad you mentioned them!

7. Richard Mk2

Its with the Digi swap. Not the 20v yet though. ;)

Im thinking that will be quite higher.....

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

Be good to see what quotes you get on that.Im tempted myself!

9. Richard Mk2

Yea im not looking forward to it tbh. :thumbd:

Its got to be done though.

I was thinking of getting an agreed value on my Mk2 once its finished! Not sure Tesco's do it though. Im paying monthly on the Mk2 atm, so i can cancel my policy when needed.

Just need to find a suitable insurer [:[]...

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

tesco wont do agreed value, you need a proper broker for that.. which means your selection will be limited, but worth it should the worse happen as theres no arguing about how much your car is or is not worth,

11. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I had a quote from Footman James policy through Sun Alliance 139 Full Comp - the catch is 1,500 annual mile limit and it being my second car I'm also 47! 50 excess for damage and windscreen which are good too. TBH if I use it as my primary car I think it'll be getting close to 300.

Anyway I listened to Martin Lewis on morning TV and he had a useful tip for all you youngsters out there. One suggestion he had was to insure your car in your name, consider fully comp as well as TPF&T, but get your parents added as named drivers. He has evidence to suggest that a couple of older drivers lower the premium (obviously they need to have good NCDs). Try it and see what happens.

12. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

This is true my daughter's insurance went down by 100 by adding my wife & another 75 when she added me (this was on a 1500 premium)

13. Admin Guest

Ugh I hate renewal time, I'm just in the middle of sorting out my GTiE golf and the minute you start mentioning Zender kits and a 1900 engine things get complicated :(

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

had my Renewal from Footman James, gone down again for multi car policy with daily & 2 Mk1's on everything declared

I'm happy

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

That's weird, they were ridiculously expensive for me

16. Admin Guest

I have given up with footman James it's too much like hard work. 'Why do want to change the engine?' Because I want to 'The underwriter is asking why you would do that as surely it would de-value the car as it's no longer original' Because I have a better 1900 engine. I now have a wonderful form to fill in with the ins and outs of my entire car - no thanks FJ I'll insure it later on with somebody else when it's finished........

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

When it comes to insurance for my mk3, I know it isn't worth much, so I will never bother claiming on the insurance if I were to have a prang - with this in mind, I always bump up the excess to the max to lower the premium - I've just signed up with swiftcover - 366 one off payment, 6 years no claims/ 30 years old.

My mk2 is on a classic insurance policy with Footman James for 280 for the year / limited 6000 mileage, but it doesn't accrue no claims bonus. The mk2 I would probably claim if I had a prang, but with mk3s so cheap to buy I would just absorb the cost and swap all the bits over (if still good) into a new mk3, I only really have insurance for it to comply with the law!

18. paultownsend Forum Member

i can now put Greenlight/Highways as an excellent provider. They offered me 2k for my ABF mk2. It was only insured for 1500!.
    In an accident paid me out within two weeks. Complicated claim within three months. Didnt load my policy up a penny with the mods on my mk4 1.8T. Map, intercooler etc. Not even when i mentioned a k04-001.

Fantastic

19. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Just to confirm we can offer agreed value polices. We have actually recently had organised Classic Car scheme for modified vehicles that offers excellent rates.

If anyone would like to receive a quotation please contact us on 01277 376000

Best Regards
    Tony
    Greenlight Insurance
    01277 376000

20. PeteS Paid Member Paid Member

All I can say is that it is worth shopping around. This is based on the different ways insurers rate drivers, cars and postcodes. One year you might get a cheap quote from xyz and then next year company abc offers the cheapest quote.
    I replace my Audi last month and the value increased by 7k, the power increased from 180 to 240bhp and the car is 3 years newer. The additional cost was 10 for 8 months. If I could have afforded an extra 30k to buy a new 3.0TDi with 313 bhp then the insurance company would have to refund me 50.
    May be Tony from Greenlight can explain the ways premiums are calculated.