repair for mk1 golf rear axle mounting point?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Admin, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

was coming away nicely then it snapped[:x]

I think i already know the answer to fix this but i'm open to suggestions.

[​IMG]

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drill or grind it out then re tap job done ;)

3. MUSHY 16V

or you could weld a nut on then give it a smash with a hammer
    and lots of plus gas

4. Admin Guest

getting whats left of the threaded section won't be to hard. its getting a new threaded section back in there that's my biggest problem

5. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Can you not just drop a bolt in from the hole above, not sure if you can get the mig in there though to put a blob of weld on

6. MUSHY 16V

aa forgot it was a stud
    drill it out and cut a slot to get a bolt in weld in place then fold the bit you cut back and weld up

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. Admin Guest

this is the only way i can think of, making a bigger hole and then welding it back up afterwards, something i wanted to avoid[:^(]

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

There is a strengthened plate inside the box section that holds the studs. Cut it open from the side to drop a high tensile bolt in after drilling it out. Then weld it into position and weld the box section closed.

Gurds

9. MUSHY 16V

yes its double skinned at that point so you would need to cut in front or behind the stud depending on witch one has sheared by about 1 1/2"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it helps the mk1 brown haynes manual has the proper procedure, i could scan this in for you? iirc it involves drilling out, tap and use a bolt instead?

11. Admin Guest

If you could.

I'd like the most least intrusive method of repair for this. the idea of cutting it open and rewelding, doesn't appeal much.
    Though i did think this would be the only way to mend it.

12. chopperoli Forum Member

I believe you can actually reach it from above, through an access hole in the floor

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

14. rubjonny

Checked it out last night, what you do is drill an 8mm hole in the exact centre of your stud, then tap it for a 10mm thread. then use a 40mm 10.9 grade bolt :thumbup:

or you could use a stud instead threadlocked in place then it would look factory

15. Admin Guest

do you flush whats left of the stud back for the tapping of an insert bolt?

I don't get how you do your second suggeston though? other than doing a similar fashion to your first suggestion?

16. Admin Guest

will have a look tonight to see if thats true, would be good, but i don't think its possible?

Had fund the link on the rocco forum, but he doesn't show you how to fix the snapped stud, unless i've been blind? I would rather not have to cut and weld, as i don't have the facilities nor skills to do so in my garage.

17. rubjonny

yeah grind whats left flush then drill and tap. I just mean at the last step rather than using a bolt, fit a stud into the hole. that way it'll look more factory if ya gets me!

18. Admin Guest

I gets ya now.:thumbup:

Thanks for the help.

19. danster Forum Addict

I just had a quick look at a mk1 lying here. Under the rear seat there does appear to be a hole covered in tape and sealer that may allow access for a bolt to be installed through.
    You may just need to drill out the broken stud to 10.5mm. This could allow a nut and bolt to be used to locate the rear axle bracket. No welding would be needed. Just someone holding the bolt from above whilst another tightened nut from underneath.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ouch - hope you've got sharp drill bits. A 10.9 stud might take a while. If you can find the right grade of studding, I'd be tempted to drill and tap another stud straight in, or use a 10.9 allen bolt and chop the head off. With a bit of careful filing of the end, you should then be able to get the thread correct to get it in. I'd be nervous about using Time-Sert type inserts, but a helicoil should be strong enough, if you have to go oversize.

If the thread is 10x1.5mm you need an 8.5mm drill bit. and appropriate thread tap.