Replaced brake lines Abs pump bleed needed?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mrglee, Sep 9, 2021.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Will I need to bleed the abs pump after replacing brake lines from abs pumo to rear calipers I did shear one of the pipes and lost a good bit of fluid before I blanked it off reservoir did not empty.
    96 GTi 8v

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's good practice anyway, tbh.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

from what I understand as long as the abs pump hasnt fully drained you're ok, but by the sounds of it you may have lost a fair bit of fluid thanks to the sheared rear line so I would plan for an abs bleed being required

4. Tristan

When I stripped my Corrado one, it was full of gunk, even though I had ran literally litres of fluid through the system. So an ABS bleed might be a good idea.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

very good point, if it were me and I knew the system hadnt been cleared out for a good while deffo get the full job done

Tristan likes this.
  6. Tristan

It's a pity there's no good detergent for brake flushing.

7. mrglee Forum Member

ok thanks everyone I take it I will need vcds to do this ? procedure?.

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Just put ignition on so ABS pump is on, then press pedal to bleed system. You dont need VAG-COM/VCDS

9. davidut5 Forum Member

On a mk3 had a problem bleeding abs, did not work with pedal-release, had to put some pressure on the reservoir to bleed fully. This was on empty abs pump.

10. mrglee Forum Member

Same problem as above picking up pressure bleed kit tomorrow take it is the same procedure hook it up ignition on open bleed valve ?

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Not sure if ignition makes a difference but does not hurt.

12. Adamss24 Forum Member

If using one of them gunson pressure bleed kits which use air from a spare tyre I suggest you deflate it as much as possible so you don’t break your brake reservoir…done it few times with old and crusty reservoirs !

13. mrglee Forum Member

I'm going to run it at 10psi as recommended going to put some cable ties to make sure the reservoir doesn't pop off.
    As I only replaced the two rear lines will air only be inside the abs unit in these circuits or will I need to do the fronts as well to remove all the air.

14. Adamss24 Forum Member

Best to do them all round as you will replenish the fluid with fresh one and probably clean the crud from the lines…make sure you soak the bleeders with some plus gas or wd40 so you don’t have a bad day if any breaks ! Also don’t force the pedal with your foot as it’s easy to twist the seals in the master cyl and you will also have a bad day bleeding the darn thing ! These old cars are worn and when you touch them you just find the next weak link !

15. mrglee Forum Member

Now put about 2 liters through with the pressure bleeder on the disturbed rear circuits and still getting big bursts of bubbles seems like an unrealistic amount of air has come out brakes are still bad
    I am correct in thinking air cannot be drawn in but liquid will leak out using pressure ?.
    Should I just keep going ?

16. mrglee Forum Member

Sorted the air bubble problem can create a syphoning effect on the bleed nipple with pressure bleeding all flushed through now and clear of any bubbles brake pedal feels fantastic without the engine running start up and brakes go all spongy going to do a two man bleed tomorrow

17. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would slowly carry on bleeding the way you do it, it takes time but less chances of twisting seals in the master cylinder...it just takes time !

18. mrglee Forum Member

Two man bleed didn't work either going back to pressure bleeding but starting to lose hope of getting these brakes working properly as I only disturbed both rear circuits can some confirm that's were the air will be in the abs pump or would it get into the fonts as well.
    Work done all lines on rears from abs pump to calipers
    Calipers new piston seals fitted calipers are fitted the right way round
    New handbrake cable fitted.
    Just put 1 liter through each side of the rears no bubbles just clean fluid brakes still bad put a lot of time and effort into getting this back on the road now just want to burn it now so going to have a few beers in the sunshine and relax

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  19. Adamss24 Forum Member

Probably you may need to drive the car over some loose gravel to activate ABS pump and bleed the air trough then carry on pressure bleeding as usual !

20. mrglee Forum Member

Cheers for the help and advice now booked in at kwik fit going to do a bleed using a scan tool to activate the abs pump should sort it out just not going to waste anymore time or brake fluid.