Replacing 1991 GTi fuel pipe 037133990B

Discussion in '8-valve' started by stytrhe, May 9, 2023.

1. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi,
    the fuel pipe (037133990t) in my mk2 gti 1991, in to the engine bay has just split. I'm trying to source a replacement, but can't seem to find anything. They are a C sort of shape, going from the fuel line (in) to the fuel rail. Has anyone got any knowledge of how I could replace it ?

Cheers
    Ross

2. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was chafing on the timing belt cover clip. I just replaced it with some fuel pipe from our local Bullseye shop.
    20230509-202222.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah both hoses were available again for a bit, but seem to be NLA again. as said use std rubber line, just make sure its the best quality ethanol safe stuff you can get, no fakes.

then take your time to shape and route it, with plenty clips and ties to hold it in position where it cant chafe

4. stytrhe Forum Member

Thanks AndyBa and rubjonny. Replaced the fuel pipe yesterday with some fuel pipe from the local autofactors. Its not rubbing on anything, so nice easy fix for £10. Think I'll be getting fire extingusher in the car, to future proof against any more shenanigans.

5. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

I need to do mine, does anyone know the internal diameter for the hose off the top of their head so I don't have to take it all apart first?

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Had a look and you're in luck, still have an off cut of the hose from when I did mine.

Unfortunately the makers name must be on an out of sight bit in the car so can't tell you that, though 99.9% sure it was Gates... be aware, apparently there's a lot of counterfeit stuff about that'll disintegrate very quickly.

States - SAE J30 R6 suitable for unleaded 5/16"

Quick Google says it's good for up to E85

Have measured it against the original feed and return hoses and it's a match.

5/16" is as near as be damned to 8.0mm (7.9375mm) - that's the inside diameter.

Quite stiff stuff but not so much so that it can't be shaped to fit in around things.

Get yourself some of that corrugated plastic pipe, the type with a slit along its length if you're retro fitting it. Can't remember which diameter now, but not be hard to work out... keeps the hoses from chaffing on the cam cover etc.

Fuel in and out.jpg

7. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

When I replaced the fuel lines in the beetle I used R6, and was told shortly after that I should have used R9.

but thanks for the dimensions and the tip for the ribbed sheath lol

8. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

I purchase from Advanced Fluid solutions then, if I do the same I’ll be more likely to get good stuff

9. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

You got me looking and you're right, R9 is a progression from R6 so I would go for it nowadays if possible, having said that R6 appears to be perfectly suitable too, just that things have moved on / are better.

May have mis-remembered this so won't mention names etc., I recall when I was doing up the 205 one of the companies supplying the various tailored fuel lines had issues with them degrading quite quickly.

It was Gates 'Barricade' they used by choice and it is/was supposedly the best at the time.

It was either a bad batch of genuine stuff or somehow counterfeit hose had got into the supply chain, so even reputable suppliers / users can get stung.

There was a write up about it at the time and how to tell fake from real, even right down to the slightly different font used on the hoses themselves by the fraudsters, it was amazing the lengths to which they'd go to wipe your eye... but more dispicable than that I thought was they were also risking your property or even life to make a few quid.

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  10. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

This made me think actually, so I checked. And I have just under a meter of R9 left from when I did the beetle. But it's only 5.6mm ID oh well.