Replacing Dash Lights

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lildubber91, Sep 16, 2010.

1. lildubber91 Forum Member

Over the past couple of years the dash on my mk2 has been gradually fading into darkness. The only light left comes from the top right above the speedo.

Il get round to the old Haynes manual at the weekend to find how to sort it, but Iv seen a couple of GTI's over the years with a different colour backlight such as red or blue!
    Does anyone know where I can obtain new bulbs and if it is possible to get them in a different colour?
    Thanks

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

3. lildubber91 Forum Member

Thats wicked, cheers for that mate - Purchased a kit, should be able to get it fitted by next wkend. Although not sure about soldering - dont have a soldering iron

4. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

they just clip in...

5. dragonfly

You will need to solder the new LEDs in. Take your time and be careful when taking the switches apart.

6. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

the last ones I got (and the only time I've done it) just twisted/clipped in and the old ones just twisted out.
    I have had no problems since I fitted them in months ago.

Maybe there are different types?

Just looked at the link that was posted, so you are just changing the bulbs.....

Thought you were getting something like THIS

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  7. dragonfly

I assumed if the OP was wishing to change the colour of the dash clocks then he would consider dopng the same for the switches.

But if it's just the clocks then yes simply twst and pull out. Double check LED versions as if they don't come on, remove them and turn 180 degrees before re-installing.

8. lildubber91 Forum Member

Thanks for the info chaps! The whole lot is out so I want to change the lights for the clocks, switches an all!
    Might have to get some help with the welding! Hoping I cant go too far wrong - dont want to f@$k anything up!