Replacing Fuel Pump - Help!!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by katt007, Aug 16, 2008.

1. katt007 New Member

Hi Guys,

I've been having the dreaded cutting out proble with my Mk3 8v Gti and had it diagnosed as being the fuel pump.

The car was running up until yesterday when I drove it around for about 45 mins. When I got home it was left for about an hour when I had to leave for work. Packed all my stuff in the car , got the tunes going, seat belt on etc, turned the key and I heard a funny noise from the back of the car and then it just died.

I tried starting it for about 10mins but nothing. All it does now is turn but doesn't start.

I checked the Haynes and it just says its a twist and pull out job to remove the fuel pump so I had a go today --- For SIX hours!![:$]

Anyway after finally getting the plastic ring off I twisted to the left and pulled. The top came off but it still leaves the bit I need to get out in the fuel tank and it feels like its bolted in place.[:x]

Does anyone know how I can remove the pump without having to take the tank off?[:D]

Any info/tips you have would be appreciated!

Katt

2. Spacemonkey Forum Member

Get your hand in the tank get hold of the pump and push and twist it.

3. katt007 New Member

Thanks SpaceMonkey,

Is there anything I have to detach??

Katt:)

4. Spacemonkey Forum Member

All the pipes that are on top of the pump and the elec plug for the sender (the ones under the cover in the boot)

5. katt007 New Member

Excellent!

I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know if I fail.

Best Wishes

Katt[:D]

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

As said above, but make sure you remember, black pipe for fuel sending, blue pipe for fuel return - arrows are on the fuel pump. Also make sure you correctly re-align the fuel pump/level sender cap - it has an arrow which needs to align to the arrow mark on the fuel tank: roughly 1 o'clock, looking in from the boot.

Pump can be quite stiff to turn, when removing and make sure everything around the area is clean before pulling the pump out!

7. katt007 New Member

Thanks guys, it's finally fixed and I'm back on the road (Which may not be a good thing!! haha):lol:

Thanks for the info!

Best Wishes

Katt