Replacing Roof on a MK1

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by JimMorris, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JimMorris New Member

Hi

Has anyone repolaced the whole roof panel on a MK 1 Golf.
    I have two shells, the more solid one has a sunroof, the other which is very rotten has no sunroof. My intention is to try to remove the panel off the poor shell and put in on to the good one.
    If anyone has done this before might they be able to give some advise. I have done a search on the Forum and back in 2003 one member said that he had a manual that showed how to do this, does anyone have a copy

Many thanks

Jim

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've just done a quick search and found what I think was the thread - here - where mcdub is talking about having a zip file with the details.

If anyone knows of any instructions showing how to do this, then please volunteer it.

Jim is building a replica of a special old Mk1 racer, so let's help him out - thanks :)

3. mcdub Forum Member

Hi, I don`t think I still have the zip file anymore but I`m sure I still have the VW restoration manual that shows the whole process.....

Its up at my parents house, I can get it next time I`m up there.
    How quickly are you planning to change the roof skins?

4. JimMorris New Member

Thanks

I would like to do it in the next month if possible

Many thanks

Jim

5. mcdub Forum Member

Hi, have maganged to get the manual, its a proper VW repair manual printed in 1976 covering the Mk1 Golf and Scirocco, think theres a few pages missing but the main boady of the manual is there.. including the replacement of the roof skin.

I would sell it as I no longer own any Mk1 Golfs.... gone are the days of having 6 in my driveway[:^(]

cheers
    Martin

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'd also be interested in how to do this. Would it be possible to scan the relevant pages of the manual?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

C'mon - scan it back for us :thumbup:

I'm the one who emailed you in the first place!

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

[:D] sounds good ;)

9. JimMorris New Member

Would be great. I pick up the "New" shell this weekend and hope to get going on it as soon as possible

E mail is jim@lifeline-fire.co.uk

Many thanks

Jim

10. gti-8v Forum Member

I'm not sure I fully understand the job at hand. Just be aware the car will have to be braced if your going to cut the roof off. I know a friend that removed a roof completely off a beetle which made the floor pan twisted enough to lift one wheel completely off the floor....

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think your getting your wires crossed, he wants to replace the bad roof with a good one.

12. mcdub Forum Member

I don`t actually have a scanner - it was a mate that scanned it onto the computer for me ages ago....

Just think its prob be easier to pass it on to someone else that can actually make use of the manual....

13. micky1 Forum Member

Waht a load of cobblers.

Beetles have a seperate chassis to the shell. [xx(]

14. micky1 Forum Member

You have PM.

15. mcdub Forum Member

Micky1 - got your pm.......

I don`t actually have a copy on my computer anymore, just the original manual itself.

I`m looking to move the manual on - waiting to hear back from JimMorris and hopefully he`ll take it off me... and then scan bits for peeps on here....

16. micky1 Forum Member

Ok, I'll take the manual and scan it in and pass it round aswell if that helps. Cars in for a cage within 2-3 weeks and the roofs gonna be cut to remove the sunroof casette.

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Would be a nice document to share around.

18. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

X5 PEA had the bodyshop replace the roof skin on his mk1, he should have some detailed photos.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Let's have it shared around please.

Watching myself having tipped this off for the forum's wider good, only to have it disappear isn't doing anyone any good.

20. mcdub Forum Member

Just so its clear ---- I was looking for some `s for the manual..... and so that everyone doesn`t think I`m tight,I did originally pay money for it but do think its better that someone can actually make use of it - seeing as i no longer have any Mk1`s....

I would sit and scan the pages but 1. I don`t have a scanner and 2. I`m too busy as I`m away for 6 months come the start of Nov.

So is 20 incl recorded postage fair? - I know your not meant to advertised items outside the for sale section but seeing as its kinda parta of the discussion......