Restoration - Almost Complete

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by GrannyRacer, Sep 25, 2008.

1. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Guys, visited the bodyshop today and I have a red GTi again! Kind Ian (hopefully) will stick a couple of photos on.

2. ev nutter Forum Member

i thought it would roll out in lo41 paint

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Here we are, it looks great, these could have been taken in 1989:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Nah, horseshoe only came as standard in '90.
    Sweet paint job, looks aahsome.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice one... will look ace all put back together and cleaned up

6. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks once again 1990 for the photos, may I ask one last favour and promise I won't ask again, when it's done and I still mess up with photobucket would you "do the honours" please? Yesterday when I took these I was speechless, it looks and feels good, that's why the VW dealer is doing it, if I hadn't been wearing lipstick I would have kissed it!!! It is sooo gorgeous even though there is some cleaning to do on it. I will have a complete disc of tons of photos they took - even in the oven of all places. Shan't get it back yet as main dealer wants to put it in their showroom alongside the new model when it comes out. MOT has run out, be a bugg*r if it fails on something hahaha but it shouldn't as husband is pretty hot on keeping things right. He hasn't mentioned cost, and hopefully won't, nice Golfie = happy wifey (he's likes his V40 which is OK I suppose but not much fun to drive).

Guys, a big thank you for your comments, (bad) jokes and support, it's meant a lot for what has been a big and lengthy project very dear to me. I shall have a car almost as new, they promised me EVERY grain and speck of rust has been removed and it was well dry, two and a half months in body shop before painting. I fully intend to pose when I get it back and drive it like I stole it (why not?) but this babe will not go out in vile weather. Should last me out. I know most of you have modified your cars but I like mine the way it is.

Have a good weekend all.

7. ev nutter Forum Member

dont wanna burst the bubble but with what youve had done would a painting of the bumpers not have gone a miss or replaceing

8. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Nutter, you aint burst my bubble. Bumpers/arches, etc cannot be painted, they are plastic, nothing wrong with them other than the body shop dust needs cleaning off them when the car gets a final polish and gel dressing (of which they will give me some) put on then they will gleam again. They've sat around for three months. They have been very good letting me "visit" and photograph any time I want. Windows should have gone back in today. Wait for the finished job.............. and tell me if you would like cream on your humble pie hahaha.

9. ev nutter Forum Member

yes they can you can buy plastic primer by u-pol thats what i used when i did mine then they can be painted

10. ev nutter Forum Member

ill look forward to seeing it i was just mentioning that it lets the body down as does the faded gti grille badge

11. sportline Forum Junkie

you crazy fool, have you ever seen a small bumper mk2 with painted bumpers?? it looks Gash!!
    why on earth would you spend all that money on an original mk2 to go and paint the bumpers?
    [:s]

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Paint job looks great, Grannyracer. I can just see it sitting beside a Mk5 Gti in the showroom, and someone saying "Actually, I like this one better, how much is it?":lol:
    Looks like they spent a lot of time and effort on it - 5 doors aren't my bag, but that looks like it just rolled of the production line!

13. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Grille badge was replaced but others aren't available new. VW one on tailgate has been painted and that one will be too so will look like new. All I am going to say Nutter, is wait and see. I prefer 5 doors. The wind up will be when I go in (as I need to get the tax into it) and insist I want THAT one before confessing it's mine. Should be good for a laugh.

14. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

That'll be funny! You need to take some pics when it's in the showroom :)

Paint is looking amazing! So has the mechanical side of things been restored at all during this project? refurbed gearbox/new suspension, etc.?

15. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Jamie, yes I like a bit of entertainment! Took them as they were working on it hence the dusty bumpers etc, it looks better in real life. I will take pics in showroom in case sales people don't. Bodyshop's taken tons which I haven't seen, even of it in the oven and will give me the disc. I suggested they print a few "durings" off and stick them with the car so Joe Public can see what it possible. Engine has been rebuilt, still on original other stuff which will be replaced when necessary. Love my car but don't intend to mess around spending on items I don't need yet.

I know this is worthwhile but you guys really give me encouragement and it's good to see there are so many of these lovely cars still being preserved.

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

If ev nutter is trying to get you to make it look anything like this then ignore everything he says!!!!

[​IMG]

PS. There is a sticky in the style section on restoring black plastic, lots of good hints and tips in there to make them look brand new :thumbup:

17. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I don't intend to take any notice of Nutter - I look forward to his comment upon completion and his assent to eat humble pie. Thanks for the tip, they should come up like new once cleaned.

18. AMY

Amy Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

Looking excellent granny! [:D]

19. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Amy, it's people like you and the rest of the guys who make these projects worthwhile. xx

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

did they not even take the bumpers, arches, tailgate lamps off for the respray?

The amount you paid and all!