Retrimming Mk3 GTi Roof Lining

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Pete Taylor, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well I saw a mk3 with a red ceiling lining in one of my mates performance VW magazine about 6 months ago. Now I've had my leaky windscreen fixed my roof lining is a bit manky...

I went on ebay and ordered myself a 2.5M x 1.5M piece of bright red felt baize like material (the same stuff on poker tables etc etc) and it arrived today [:D] My god it's stuper bright :lol: 25 it cost me inc. postage.

So I just this minute took my roof lining out, took approximately 10 minutes from start to finish and came out of the car a lot easier than I thought all using a phillips screwdriver!

So now I have it out of my car and also have the fabric, time for me to spend some quality time with my dearest mother as she helps me use fabric spray adhesive to stick the stuff over the top of the old material [:D]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

That looks like it could be interesting!
    I really wanna see how it turns out, not sure if im gonna like it though, ill wait and see!

3. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well hopefully today or tomorrow it should be finished and if it's not wazzig it down i'll get it back up in the car and take some photos. I know it's going to look a bit funky because i've seen it done before :)

4. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Just ordered some black suede to retrim the A, B and C pillars too ;)

The car will look comfortable whilst still fracturing your spine over speed bumps :)

5. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Next thing to do is get all of the creases out of the material before putting it on.

I found this electric hot plate thing and a sort of surf board on legs. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be used for but it was a mean piece of kit. Almost designed for the job..

[​IMG]

Next step.. find a big space. I'll be using the kitchen floor as it's all been ripped up to be replaced so it doesn't matter if I make a bit of mess

6. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

Is that the picture of the hot plate thing there?
    I see the surf board, but ive never see the wired thing on it! [:s]

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

crikey, no idea what that is, looks like it does the job. they from machine mart?

your interior is going to be amazing

8. Pete Taylor Forum Member

When it's all laid out lay the material over and pull it all back so you can start applying to adhesive spray to a small area. This material has some stretch in it, so there areas around the grab handles etc where the material will normally ripple can be stretched around the areas first before spraying to make sure you get a nice flat even curve.

In this picture I've done the first section which is about 1 foot of it. The Stikatak superspray adhesive requires 10 minutes to dry, so i'll have a smoke and top up my drink before each section [:D] Us the spray sparingly!!

[​IMG]

9. Pete Taylor Forum Member

This is it about half done and nearing the tricky bit. The first tricky bit is out of the way, the rear grab handle recesses. This is where the stretching of the material was required to prevent the areas around the curves of the ceiling lining rippling. Also, make sure the windows are open if you use this stuff. In my head I have just been on a trip to the moon with the chocolate fingered pen fairies...

[​IMG]

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

This is it nearing completion, I have to finish one more part which would be above the drivers head. Then i've got to flip it over, trim and stick all the edges then cut through and to the back the pieces that are currently covering the holes for the grab handles, interior light and sun visors. Feeling quite pleased with this at the moment, it almost looks like a roof lining again! The race is on to try and get it back in the car tonight!

[​IMG]

11. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I've now finished that side and flipped over the lining, on the back i'm currently trimmingall the excess and cutting into the notches etc.

[​IMG]

I'd like to point out at this stage that the spray sprays out kind of webs and does actually make you look like spiderman. I'm getting quite attached to the stuff now. Literally..

12. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I just discovered that clothes pegs are handy for this bit. I got 90% through the final bit and the bloody Stickatak stuff has ran out... typical! I will hopefully be finishing this tomorrow and showing pictures of it in the car!

[​IMG]

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

flipping brilliant mate.

if i give you a half eaten pack of smarties and a rollo, will you do mine?

14. 0420Dubber Forum Member

Very nice. Cant wait to see it fitted. Great skills man. :clap:

15. stevegtx Forum Member

looks good fancy mine in black

16. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Got some more spray adhesive today and finished it off like so...

[​IMG]

Then I started fitting it back into my car..

But unfortunately I appear to somehow of lost 2 screws and a grab handle!!??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Grunty87 Forum Member

Very impressed. Well done!

18. phatman_82

phatman_82 Forum Member

Anyone know if its the same methods for the mk2.

Nice job :thumbup:,
    just need to change the colour of your visor's and grab handles me thinks.

19. madmonkey Forum Addict

Looks very well done! Not my choice of colour, but seems to suit the red.

Might give mine a go someday, dark charcoal.[8D]

20. voteforpedro Forum Member

My missus used to use a hot plate to iron her clothes but I hid in my tool box where it belongs.

I'm very impressed! Why not spray your pillars, visors and grab handles? :)