right- battery problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rahul, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Rahul Forum Junkie

ok. the cab wasnt starting.
    I had a look tonight and the battery was now completely dead. So i jumped started it from my other car. Then cab started fine....left it for a bit and then thought, i would let the cab run 'on its own'. Now the cab carried on running for a few moreminutes and then it died again.

Now the battery is obviously not getting charged by the car running or is not keeping the charge.

What is actually wrong with the car?
    bear in mind the battery is only a couple of months old! [:x]
    Edited by: CabrioRags

2. daveybwoy Forum Member

whats the alternator like? Sounds like its not charging

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Alternator or earth .

4. gordy Forum Member

clean all terminals on your alternator and where it earths then if you can get hold of a multimeter see if it making charge to your battery ;)

5. Rahul Forum Junkie

cheers ...will try that!

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Go back to the people who supplied the battery, they will test it, if its fauly they will replace. If not its alternator time, would be very suprised to see the alternator earth go down as its earthed through the body of itself and via your cars engine to the chassis.

It sounds like the battery isnt holding its charge. get a meter on there, look for 13->14 volts when the cars running and a steady 12v ish if everytjing is off.

If you got the 13 ->14 volts then its more than likely the battery, if all you got is around 12 or lower it means the altenator is not charging the battery.

But then again you said the battery is a few months old it is possible that you covered up a altenator problem by buying a new battery. Minefield!

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Check that the battery warning light comes on when you turn the ignition on. If the bulb is blown the alternator won't start charging.

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

it does!

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

does that mean if the blue wire for it isnt connected the alt wont start charging either? I ran my car like that for a while [:$]

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yup, the blue wire tells the alt to charge.

11. paulgti16v Forum Member

so where does the other end of this blue wire go, as i have a problem with my blue wire i am not getting any signal from it.
    its not possible for the battery light to blow as its an led ?

sorry for the highjack rag's but i really need to trace where this blue wire goes so i can fix my charging problem ! [:^(]

12. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

The blue wire runs from the alternator, all the way up to the alternator led in the dash, then to the voltage stabiliser on the back of the dials and then down to earth.

13. paulgti16v Forum Member

so in other words it going to be an ar*e to trace the problem [xx(] ?

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The battery light can blow - I had one go last year. Try running the blue wire straight to battery earth and see if you get a decent voltage (i.e. about 13.8v) across the battery terminals. If not I'd start to look at the alternator, it's probably just a duff brush pack/regulator - you can buy these seperately for about 9 from a Bosch agent (Yellow pages, under "Fuel Injection").