Rivnut kits - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, Jul 8, 2007.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I wondered if anyone could help recommend a rivnutter.

Im aware there are steel ones and alloy ones (not clear on whether alloy ones mean alloy threads or crimp casings, ie soft threads... or not) and some say steel ones need a special tool to crimp the inserts up, and others say theyre fine for DIY.

Only ones I can think of will be likely to be from Frosts or Car Builder solutions.

Anyone got any experiences/how good was said item?/aware of any others suitable for DIY?

Cheers in advance :)

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have one fron Car Builder Solutions, the better of the two that are available, comes in a blue metal box with a load of rivnuts, think it was about 50-70 notes, cannot remember exactly.

Difference between this and the cheaper ones is the size of insert they can crimp - mine will do upto M8 or M10 steel inserts and is a well made bit of kit - cheaper ones will only do maybe M6 and ali not steel inserts

Very useful bit of kit

Cheers

Rob

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Arrived today - looks good. Just pondering how much crimping required, but as they say, enough for the inserts not to spin and re-crimp them if they do.

Seems to offers up to M8, which Frost's version doesn't, but academic - more than enough.

Looks like this'll be being used for putting inserts in the pedal box - saves welding captive nuts in - as well as bolting the gearshifter to the floor.

Friday night...