Road legal track tyres...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by chrismc, Jul 25, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Can anyone recommend me some 15s for a mk2?? Dunlop/Toyo/Yoko? Ideally 195/45 but I can cope with 195/50 (arch constraints with Brembos/wheel spacers)

Think im starting to severely test the longevity of Toyo Proxes now so im considering moving up a level!

Still need them to be road legal though I tend not to use the car in the rain if possible..so not too worried if their wet grip isnt too clever..

Cheers!

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

At the minute you can only get A048s in 195/50x15 - I don't know of any that are in 45s yet.

A048s give a lot more grip than road tyres and work from cold and not 'too bad' in the wet *until* you hit standing water ( as per action day ) :lol:

Downside is the price at 100 each and they don't last long [:^(]

Have a look at camskill.co.uk , you'll see other tyres such as Formula Rs etc are only available in 205/50 + 195/55 sizes

Camskill track tyres
    Edited by: GVK

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:s] Just wondering if there is anything out there that will outperform/outlast my T1-S setup (fronts are dead after Saturday) whilst being OK in the wet...

I think Barny had Colways on his car..maybe worth a look??

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Cheers Gary..see what you mean about size availability... [:s]

Maybe I should play safe & go for T1-R Toyos? [:[]

5. GVK

Again, with the Colways you're limited to 185/55 or 205/50 [:^(] You'll need to raise the ride height and probably need arch work for 205s.

6. GVK

As a guide I've done maybe 1500-1700? miles on the road, a full track day and a track evening at Cadwell, the sessions at the action day and the Bruntingthorpe Golf+ day on my 48s and they're no longer road legal.

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:s] You use them to their full potential...I suppose I could only expect similar.. [:^(]

8. GVK

Good thing about them is you can go flat out, on the out lap :lol: Iguana thought we were gonna crash at Cadwell on the first lap, he did get there late tho, i'd already been out :lol:

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Good for scareing the likes of MattD too then!! Had him twitching going into Quarry..

2 piece AP discs & DS2500 pads were awesome! ;)

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Stick with the 888s or A048Rs. Colways will lose you some performance. The former are the main two options in the market which work from cold, near enough.

To get anything better you'd need slicks, which is bordering on over-doing things - especially in a non caged car IMHO. You need patience for warm up. Cold day = iffy warm up for a few laps etc, and all the while, you're at risk.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'll also add that if you think you're pushing the limits of the 888s, I'd consider suspension improvements as an option, in order to better control the car's movement as it attempts to grip through its footprint.

12. GVK

Amen to that, *cough* Craners *cough* [:$]

13. iguana Forum Member

Yeh put the wind right up me ;) If id have gone that hard into the 1st bend like that on my slicks it would have been game over! ;)

14. GVK

:lol: I know, they are lethal when cold [:$]

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

Barny's problems with the Colways are twofold, one that he has 205's and they are too wide for the 7" wide rim, they try and roll off them under cornering as proven from his camera footage. Secondly, they are made from remoulds, they dont have the stiff sidewall that is needed for the cornering forces, the Yoko's Khumo's etc are made like that to start with

If you want to use a road tyre that is made as a road tyre, my personal recommendation would be a Yoko A539 - but I know that others dont like them. Its my personal preference, the F1'2 and Toyo's are too soft for me as a road tyre, let alone something that I would entertain using on a trackday

16. seanlazyass Forum Member

Just out of curiousness, what sort of pressures are you guys running in your Trackday tyres?

I'd imagine you could get away with running them a lot harder than road tyres?

Who has used Toyo R888? What were the wear rates like?

Anyone tried the Avon ZZR's? I know they're expensive but I've seen them in Demon Tweeks and they look like a mean tyre.

Sean

Ps. Chris, if you can wait a few weeks I'll tell you what the Colways are like.
    Edited by: seanlazyass

17. Polo Classic Forum Member

Avon ACB-10 in 7,0/22,0-15 or CR 500 in 195/45 could be a good option

18. AtlasMK1 Forum Member

The Toyos are a pile of pooh IMO. Yes they grip ok but after a good few miles mine just fade to much less grip. I then fitted GSD3 Goodyear Eagles, was getting twice the mileage and IMO better grip. They were definitely better on the wet, very progressive.

They cost a bit more but outlast the TOYO by a long way.

Dave!

19. Jeff Forum Junkie

a539s might be what you're after. no track experience, but I DO know they work very well in the dry - better than toyos - and much much worse in the wet!

My reason for hating them as a road tyre is that they have bugger all grip in the wet. But that doesnt apply for you.

20. GVK

Toyo R888 are available in 195/50x15 now ;)

[​IMG]

Quite cheap too :lol:
    Edited by: GVK