Rubber cover on front caliper bolts...are they important?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by trmorgan95, Aug 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. trmorgan95 New Member

Hi All, as the title says, i had a stripped caliper bolt and had to tear off the rubber to remove the bolt with pliers, is it recommended to replace this rubber cover asap? if so where can replacements be found?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what brake setup is this, I'm assuming 239mm? if so and its only the area round the bolt head you should be fine. if its completly gone then you should replace it to stop the slider pins getting damaged by dirt and moisture, they're widely available on ebay, biggred.co.uk.

vw can still supply as well, part number is 171698447B which gets you as kit of 2 rubbers and 2 plastic sleeves. 20.76+VAT

3. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

The sliders effectively double the force of a single piston so it's essential they're kept in good condition.

4. trmorgan95 New Member

Afternoon guys, see the attached picture, is it a pain to replace or straight forward? [​IMG]

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Never needed to do them to be honest, but I don't think you can leave those. The nylon sleeve looks a little damaged too.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

take the caliper off again then you can replace the boots and plastic sleeves :)