running on 4 cylinders

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Grassy, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Grassy New Member

finnaly got my vr6 conversion started after 4 months of building it up but i noticed straight away that it had a bad misfire.

i felt the exhaust manifold pipes and you could tell that cylinders 1 and 3 are not firing as it was cold compared to the others.
    i pulled out the spark plugs 1 and 3 and they are still clean and i pulled out spark plug 2 and you can see blackness from when it was running so cylinder 2 is fine.

the engine block is new with a full set of new pistons rings ect.
    it is an obd1 engine and i followed a guide for the firing order and have since then re checked it.
    when building the engine i put in new spark plugs and a new dizzy cap.
    im thinking the leads maybe knackered but i havent tested it yet to see if im getting a good enough spark.
    ive ordered a full new set of leads to be sure as the ones i have arent the best condition anyways.
    also i have a rotor arm on the way too.

if non of these seem to work what should i then look at doing.
    test power at injectors 1 and 3
    flow test them with the rest to see how they perform against each other.
    compression test. but i would of thought a new engine will be at the best it can be.
    is there anything else that could couse a misfire. ecu?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. AjVR Forum Member

Were the non firing cylinders spark plugs wet at all from fuel or bone dry ?

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

could be tappets not filled with oil yet

4. Grassy New Member

ive had it running for about 30 seconds i would have thought it would have sorted out by now, theyre not noisy or anything engine is smooth as in no knocks or metalic noises just a bad misfire. ill keep it in mind. i didnt think about that
    cheers

5. Grassy New Member

not a 100% sure i cant remember. they were wet as i wiped them clean again. i tried to smell it but its a bit hard to tell when you have a blocked nose! ill thinking ignition side of things which im hoping but i think i might whip all the injectors out and test them all to make sure they are fueling the same
    cheers

6. notenoughtime

id check for spark then, also try unpluging injector one by one

7. Grassy New Member

yeah thats what im thinking, im going to try it tomorrow. i think unplugging each injector will be a bit hard though because of the inlet manifold covers them.

8. notenoughtime

i would still be thinking of followers though as its a fresh build

9. Grassy New Member

a compression test would prove that would it? i hope it isnt :cry: its the original tappets and i had some oil in them (new oil)

10. notenoughtime

Grassy likes this.
  11. Grassy New Member

well ill take it from you that it will sort itself out then and hopefully i dont have to strip it down again! if thats the problem. going to test it all tomorrow so i will reply back on here on what i find cheers mate

12. Grassy New Member

Got it sorted. Not 100% sure what it was as this time I fired it up it sounded much better. Still with one cylinder down. The exhaust was still cold on cylinder 1 after some messing about and testing it started to run right and all exhaust pipes warmed up the same. And it sounds like a proper vr.

13. notenoughtime

My money is still on that tappets hadn`t filled with oil, glad its sorted its so tense when you start a engine for the first time so much going through your mind! have i done this or this lol