S2 hub CV's and hub splines to suit Gemini shafts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by TonyB, Jan 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I wonder if there is a list of spline types and sizes out there, or in here?

I have a hill climb MK1 Golf and an ex works Gemini Sequential box, shafts etc (not connected at present). Now I'm reasonably sure the outer CV's are S2 Audi as the MK3 rally cars (which the box came from) ran 4 stud hubs.

My intention is to run Passat B6 or Audi TT alloy front hubs, with suitable roll bar and strut set up. The modern bolt in wheel bearings look strong and durable and the hub gives greater clearance for bigger wheels etc, and it's all off the shelf, so to speak. I can re drill the front hubs, that's not an issue.

Now, I acquired a B6 diesel front hub to have a look at and the Passat hub splines are about 1mm smaller dia, which gives me some hope that there is probably a version out there that will fit.

Possibly a TTRS hub would have a bigger size CV spline but they are quite pricey so don't want to buy a set unless I know.

Of course a set of MK3 rally hubs would be the answer but they are few and far between, and generally connected to MK3 rally cars :)

Any one any info or experience of this?

2. babbe Forum Member

is the B6 Diesel 36 splined in the hub?

3. babbe Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Check Porsche fitments also. There's recurring anecdotal evidence of commonality, though it may relate to inner CVs rather than outers.

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I'll have a look over the weekend and get the splines and dia. So maybe I can use later CV's on the Gemini shafts to fit :)

6. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Ok, I've had a measure up. The Gemini/S2? CV's measure 30.7mm dia and have 38 splines. The passat B6 diesel CV's measure 28.5mm dia and have 36 splines. Forgot to measure the Gemini/S2 CV's inner spline size, I don't have a Passat one here unfortunately.

Is there a chart anywhere that gives CV data that can be cross referenced?

7. mk1. Forum Junkie

check the euro car parts site,ime sure it gives cv and driveshaft data.

8. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that, couldn't find a chart but by playing with the car type and picking various likely Audi's and VW's came up with Audi TT 3.2 CV's that had a 36 spline outer section (like a Passat B6 alloy hub) and a 27 spline inner section (like an Audi S2 Quattro).

Ordered two complete CV joint kits from Euro car parts for 48.19 delivered!! Seemed very cheap but they turned up today and fit the hubs and have the same inner splines as the S2 CV's :). So far so good.

They are made by Q-Drive and there is a thread above disussing these. Don't sound very durable (as you would imagine given the price) however I'll give them a go. Everyone told me you can't run 90mm inner and std outer CV's on a race MK1 but I never had any problems. So as I said I'll give them a go, can always upgrade if and when. Hillclimbs and sprints are very short so might well be ok.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  9. babbe Forum Member

great news tony. now wee need some pics, curious over the height of the stearing arm with new typ upprights

10. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Well, I managed to acquired a set of MK5 struts form a friend who brought them back for Dubai where they were destined for a race series, but not fitted.

They are a good track day spec, not full competition spec, but will do for now to get it set up. 36 damping settings and adjustable ride height as well as adjustable spring platforms. Came with rose jointed top mounts and adjustable alloy drop links (also came with the rear set up but I'm going to sell them on as I don't need them).

I wasn't sure if MK5 Golf struts would fit Passat B6 hubs but checked yesterday and they do :thumbup:

Any how, here are some pics. Need to build new strut towers and build in some castor, then fit is all and work out the geometry and make it all fit together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RobT likes this.
  11. babbe Forum Member

im very excited over this, bin thinking about this as an evolution for a long time onlyl downs side is the change in boltpattern for the wheels

12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, I did think about welding up the holes a re machining them, but I was going over to 9" rims on the front anyway so will just run 5/115 wheels on the front and 4/100 on the rear - subject to suitable wheels available in 15"

13. babbe Forum Member

thought about that to. but dont know if the bearing will like the welding. I will go 17 if i change upprights so its not really an issue if you dont want

14. idrivemyself New Member

Something to think about that may work...

Audi B7 A4 front wheel bearings and hubs are the same style as the Mk V/IV and B6 Passat. BUT B7 front bearings do not come fully assembled with the hub.

[​IMG]

So then it's checking to see if the B7 bearing will fit in the B6 Passat knuckle (which I would be surprised if it didn't...). Next step then would be verifying that a Mk I/II/III 4x100 hub fits the ID of the B7 bearing.

15. babbe Forum Member

ooh. intresting. even if an old hub dosent fit it will be possible to modife without damaging the bearings

old hubs wont work. B7 ones are twize the size in the bearing

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    RobT likes this.
  16. idrivemyself New Member

So then machining a press-fit sleeve to take up the additional diameter between the 4x100 hub and the B7 bearing ID should do the trick. With a few TIG tack welds to ensure the sleeve is set it should work fine. Although it is a compression fit of the hub and bearing between the hub bolt/nut and the axle stub so that may not be necessary.

babbe and RobT like this.
  17. babbe Forum Member

BUMP.

any progres so far Tony?

18. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Not really, the CV's turned up and fit, so that all seems ok.

Acquired a set of 5200 AP calipers so need to have a measure up and see what offset bells I need. Planning on using 295>300 mm discs, guess 28mm thick to suit the calipers. Have also acquired the matching hub for the other side.

Need to get the classic beetle MOT'd, as that is entered in a classic rally in April, and also need to get the MK2 Golf rally car ready as I have entered it in the Welsh Hill climb and sprint championship while I hack the mk1 up and fit all of this stuff :-)

19. idrivemyself New Member

I'm also curious to see how this all pans out. In a bit I'll be due for new brakes on my Mk IV and I'm contemplating a Mk V upright and brake swap considering that I have a set of Passat aluminum uprights at the local wrecker for $45 US each... Need to do some measurements first to verify that everything will fit and that the geometry is correct.

I seem to recall Mk IV/V strut base diameters being the same or very close?

Keep us posted Tony! :thumbup: