Sealy cp2400 impact won't charge!

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by paultownsend, Mar 4, 2013.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

Iv probably had it for three years but only had a few hours use of it.
    But the battery is flat enough to not want to undo anything, but won't charge.
    The green 'charged' light won't move to 'charging' when the button is pressed.

Now iv phone up sealey and they can look at it for a fee.
    But has anyone else had this problem? Or know how I can test? A charger or battery is 50. Just do t want to replace the wrong part!

Paul

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ can't hurt to give that a try. What does the battery read on a voltmeter?

3. benny Forum Member

I got a 24v Clarke impact wrench (which plays up when charging!) I think the best voltage I've seen is 29v - which seems high, but I haven't done the maths!

I know it has a Sealey twin and wonder if yours is the same as mine albeit branded different. If it is the same as mine and you're still having problems, here's a battery, charger and a free drill chucked in for 56 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ccd240-24v-cordless-hammer-drill

I think I might get one myself as I reckon it might be quite a pokey drill for the cash! Might look at reviews first..!

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I don't think the Sealey and Clarke ones are the same on these - the prices are certainly a lot different!

5. benny Forum Member

I beg to differ, though you may not be seeing my point :) Mines a Clarke CIR450 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cir450-24v-high-torque-cordless-impact?da=1&TC=SRC-impact+wrench+24v which I'm saying is the same item as the Sealey CP2400 http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-cp2400-cordless-impact-wrench-24v-1-2-sq-drive-325lb-ft-2-batteries-p7955

The Clarke CCD240 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ccd240-24v-cordless-hammer-drill merely provides the battery required and a free (ish) drill and charger (albeit the charger is a slower type). If I were paying 50 for a battery, I'd rather pay 56 and get the above ;)

That said, closer inspection may be required, but that can be done in a Machine Mart store.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yep I reckon you're right. The Clarke one you've linked to is very different from the ones I've seen before. Might be worth a closer look at the battery first, but it could be a cheap way round the problem.

Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back on since post 1 in this thread, so your good advice might go unseen.

7. benny Forum Member

Yeah I know, maybe someone will see it though, one day :0) Seems they're a bit average in the battery dept these! Bah!

8. paultownsend Forum Member

I'm back!

Still does not work. Got my father in law who is a BT engineer to take a look at it. He can't see why it's not charging!

I'm crap on a multimeter but sure it was 17v on the battery. 99% flat but still turns the wrench

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

If you've had for four years and left it flat the battery will be shot [8(]
    Is it nimh nicad or lithium ?

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Some battery chargers refuse to start charging when the cell voltage is too low. Have to say I don't like the sound of these experiences and I think I'll stick to the plan of getting a dewalt unit which will share batteries with two other drills.

11. paultownsend Forum Member

Shame. Think il be putting this in the classifieds as a full working wrench only.

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I have had a Snap On 1/2" battery gun since about 2002ish, had to replace the battery last year as wouldn't accept charge.. they only give them something like 900 charging cycles.. probably had my money's worth out of it.

145 for a battery tho..

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask..

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Batteries can sometimes be brought back to life by pinging them momentarily across terminals with higher voltage then battery it self, it does depend on type of the cells tho

Have a look on you tube plenty vids on there

14. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

That's a good innings on the Snap On battery, but as you say a bit pricey I could get 3x Dewalt 18v 2.4Ah for that.

Sometimes a cell can reverse it's polarity we used to get that with emergency lights it was fairly trivial to split the packs into individual cells and zap them back on a battery charger, but not so easy in this style of packaging and a bit dodgy.

15. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

When you over volt a nicad it brakes down crystals that have formed in the electro light gel .
    Be carful as I think it only works on nicads and you do it for a second or two with 25% more voltage than battery voltage :thumbup:
    It's referred to as cracking