Seat Ibiza 1.2 3 cylinder misfiring

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dennis10, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hi chaps, my girlfriends Ibiza, 3 pot shed is misfiring and it has been getting progressively worse, at times it must be firing on only 2 cylinders because it can be painfully slow and chuggy.

My question is, aside from the spark plugs and the coil packs, is there anything else on this piece of crap that can cause a misfire? I've changed the plugs and awhile ago bought just 1 coil pack with the thinking that surely only 1 coilpack must be on its way out - we tried the new coilpack on each cylinder in turn but nothing has changed, maybe its getting a bit worse. Before I go this weekend and get 2 more coilpacks can anyone tell me if there is anything else to check on it?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

first thing i did on my brothers car was to get new spark plugs. theyre meant to last 40k miles. his was on 26k but the electrode was very worn.

the new plugs fixed the issue temporarily, but it came back (but not as bad as before)

then i got him to clean up the earths and some other wiring around the engine and it has been pefect since bombing round sounding like a half pint 911

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

I would say disconnect the battery and have a look. As when my MAF in my mk4 was faulty resetting the battery stopped the misfire for a few miles until the MAF readings were used instead of the base table values (so I've been told thats why it went).

So try that :)

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

My daughter`s Polo had similar symptoms due to faulty lambda probes (before and after cat. I believe)

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah my mum's had an issue with the lamba probe but apparently some forums say there's an ECU update for the earlier polo's having such an issue

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Was a 52 plate - in hindsight not the best buy but did the job from new for her - several issues with those pesky probes and conflict with the dealer - she`s now running a 51 plate MkIV Golf 2.0 8v GTI - a surprisingly good all-rounder