Seat Ibiza dash into MK1

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by sports racer, Oct 23, 2015.

1. sports racer Forum Member

I've got a standard dash in my 78 GL and even though it's in great condition I want to go to a later model dash.

Is it easier to swap the dash and all the electrics from a Seat Cupra or use the electrics from my recently written off MK2 GTI with the Cupra dash? I don't want to use the MK2 dash as it's a common swap and I want something different. I've got a complete Cupra and MK2 GTI to use parts from.

From this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Cheers

Paul

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cupra uses the CE2 fusebox, same as the 90spec mk2 golf. which loom is easier for you will depend on where you'll be putting the fusebox, the ibiza one is near the middle of the car I believe?

tbh thinking on it either way you'll want the biza dash loom since it'll have all the right ends on for the switches, though the steering column & ignition switch loom will work either way. though some seat have the rear wiper on a button on the end of the wiper stalk, so the loom differs for that bit

once dash side is sorted its a case of do you want to convert the rest of the mk1 loom to fit the ce2 fusebox, or splice the dash loom to the mk1 fusebox? since yours is early you'll have the old ceramic dash so you'll probably find it easier to convert he car to ce2. though note tyhe mk1 fusebox is on the passenger side so the loom routing wont be ideal if you move the fusebox. may be worth considering using all the ibiza loom adapted to the mk1 shell, and make new holes in the driver side bulkhead for the engine and lighting looms to come thru...

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Keep the early mk1 dash it's far more cool

fasteddie, carlg and Tristan like this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Your call what you wish to do.

Darren from VW Enterprises on here, has carried this sort of dash conversion and would be a good person to ask in his section.

I can alert him as well.

5. sports racer Forum Member

I've had MK1's since 1986. Trust me, you get tired of the old dash.

The plan is to replace all the wiring including the fusebox so I'll use the Cupra wiring and modify it to fit the MK1.

I'll check out Darren's section.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye i used to think like that
    in my day it was the E30 BMW dash

the last south african mk1's used what looked like a skoda Fabia dash
    the seat one must be very similar size wise

7. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I have a flocked mk2 dash available, was told before that the Mk2 Ibiza dash would fit into a Mk2 Golf.... so if anyone knows if a Mk2 Golf dash fits into a Mk1 then it may help

8. sports racer Forum Member

The Golf MK2 dash is a standard swap into MK1's. The Cupra dash fits as well, just needs new mounts made which are easily done. Normally the electrics would be a nightmare adapting to the MK1 wiring but it should be easy if I use all the Cupra wiring as well.

I doubt you'd be happy to post your dash to Australia for free so I'll use the Cupra dash that I already have although a flocked one would look good in the Golf. Plus I could brag that I've got parts from the quickest snot green Cupra in the world. :thumbup:

9. The ANT Forum Member

I don't see the reason for doing this. The raw simplicity is the appeal. Why remove a big portion of the appeal. I grew up with mk2 gti golfs and 205 gti pugs. It's the simple, basic, raw part of their character that makes them special. In my opinion you'd be taking away some of the cars character, for no reason (if the original was damaged I might understand but to me it's daft).
    But I am just voicing my opinion.

10. sports racer Forum Member

Original (and old) are nice but when you've lived with the same thing staring at you for 30 years you want a change (but I can't divorce her and she's good with the kids). The dash I can change

I use my cars a lot. The MK2 was my daily and did over 200 ks a day. That's a lot of putting up with old electrics and gauges.

The raw simplicity will still be there but I'll feel it through the steering wheel and the seat, I don't need to see it too. I'll keep the old dash so that in another 30 years when I get tired of the Cupra dash I can go back.

Cheers

Paul

11. sports racer Forum Member

For all the purists out there you'll be glad to know I'm keeping the MK1 dash but I'm tempted to redo the instruments.

It may be nearly 40 years old but it has it's charm and after driving my wife's 2012 Holden Cruise for a few days I really don't want something modern.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe hide a more modern cluster behind the original binnacles, theres a mk1 with s1 dash somewhere out there with a SEAT ibiza speedometer unit or possibly a polo cluster hidden round the back to make it easier to run more modern management :)

13. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  14. jamesa Forum Junkie

15. The ANT Forum Member

Nooooo, please, the wood looks awful, it makes me think bland seventies vauxhall, and the instruments should at least remain retro, that looks like its for a rgb race car not a retro hatchback.

16. sports racer Forum Member

I'm thinking something like this, a MK2 dash with old gauges. Reminds me of my 1st car, a 1948 Wolseley 680.

That steering wheel would have to go though.

[​IMG]

Match it with an interior like this and I'd be a very happy man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016