Secret cut off switch idea..

Discussion in 'Security' started by EZ does it, Feb 15, 2008.

1. EZ does it Forum Member

Been thinking about a secret cut off switch on my mk2 for a while now, the fog light switch is double throw with pos.1 for front fogs, and 2 for front and rear (although ive only got rear fogs), would it be possible to run some part of the wiring through so it has to be at pos.1 to start the engine, bit still works at 2 when im using the fogs. does anyone know how i could make this effective, which wire to route through, which pins to connect to.. or is the whole idea a bit silly?!

btw its a weber'd carb engine.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

One problem you could encounter is if the earth is common to both sets of contacts. I don`t know for sure, just guessing.

You could avoid any problems, by getting another switch, say, another fog or rear screen switch and fit it in one of the spare holes. Only those in the know, looking closely enough would spot it. ;)

The white symbol on it could easily be removed by lightly sanding it, then polishing back to a smooth finish.

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

i've done this a few times with an extra fog light switch, anything is better than nothing!

4. jakeireland Forum Member

i've just bought a race stylee cut off switch, going to mount it under the bonnet....with no key in it, chavs won't know what it is, let alone why its not working

5. EZ does it Forum Member

cheers guys, ive got a spare pre 90 spec hazard switch i could use.. which bit of wiring do you think im best off routing through?

6. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

my uncle used to put a hidden but accessible inline shut off valve in the fuel line in his car when e wer a lad.

7. Seraph Banned

The other problem is, it's not longer a secret switch!;)

8. EZ does it Forum Member

True, but but that makes it no more vulnerable than it is now!

9. t'mill Forum Member

Not being a whizz with the old electrics, can anyone post a diagram or explain how and where to wire a cut off switch?I'm liking this idea a lot :)

10. lufbramatt Forum Member

take rotor arm with you when you leave the car in a dodgy place?

or fuel pump relay or something else important . . .

11. Mark Callis Forum Member

just remember to make sure you dont wire up so the light come on when the switch is in the on position. My dads old t4 had one wired up to a second heated rear screen switch, which i turned off on the motorway. lets just say he was not a happy bunny. oops!

12. jakeireland Forum Member

Iv just got a racing cut off switch under the bonnet....remove the key....car immobilised....problem solved:)

13. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Use a DPCO relay wired as a latch and have your selected switch trigger the relay to latch in prior to starting/running. To reset it put a PTB switch on the feedback line to break the circuit to the coil.

This way you don't have an extra switch on your dash, and it won't interfere with the normal operation of the car.

14. Dono Forum Member

ive put a flick switch in the little flap under the steering wheel next to the fuse box, once the flap it shut nobody can see it.

a mate of mine made it so that when you take the fag lighter out car was dead, cool really

15. VRSteve Forum Member

yeh along with the alarm and the central locking surely???

16. jakeireland Forum Member

no alarm.....and yes, central locking is...but not too bothered, 2 doors, mostly only ever me driving!

17. dcbwhaley

dcbwhaley Forum Member

If you latch it to the supply to the radio it will release the relay when you take the key out - no need to remember to set it

18. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Good idea- though you could use any of the switched circuits (fed from black wires usually, or circuit 15) to work the relay, handy if your radio has seen some 'creative' wiring.. be careful not to use circuits on the X-relief feed - these are the ones that will switch off when you crank the engine (headlamps, demister etc..)

19. dcbwhaley

dcbwhaley Forum Member

Advantage of latching to the radio is that, on my car at least, the radio remains on until the key is removed. That allows you to turn the ignition off in traffic without setting the immobiliser. A small point but not insignificant :-)

20. pipster Forum Member

do what I do and drive something nobody wants to steal :)