Selca Alarm - Where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Louie2shoes, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Louie2shoes Forum Member

Ok, I recently purchased a '96 Mk3 GTI 8V which only came with one key and no alarm fob. On the windows are stickers for a Selca Alarm. As I don't have the fob, I don't know if it works? Can anyone advise me on what to do or where to begin looking? I'm wondering whether it's worth fixing or do I purchase a kit from somewhere like http://www.rclick.co.uk/ ?

Here's a bit more info on the car which may be of use?

My key has a transponder which, when removed, immobilizes the engine. This works fine.

On the dashboard I have one red light but no lights near the door locks or anywhere else for that matter.

In the engine bay there is an alarm/horn thingy mounted behind the strut tower on the passenger side of the vehicle. This is wired through the firewall. It is also linked to a plunger mounted above the front grill. Each doorway also has a sensor. Above the windscreen there are two motion sensors.

I have total closure, which works fine on the drivers side but not the passenger side. The only problem I have with this is when you hold the key in the unlock position - both the drivers side windows go down.

One final thing I did notice recently was when I disconnected or reconnected the battery, the horn thing made a loud click sound!

If anyone has any advice whatsoever, I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks!!!

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Firstly aftermarket alarms are usually the work of the devil, and as such are usually best being ripped out when they cease to work.

That said, it might just be that the fob has been lost and the alarm is fully functional.. might be worth contacting Selca?

Some of the things you mention are original features of the car - for example the key transponder based immobiliser will have been fitted from the factory and should have no interaction with the aftermarket alarm.

Not sure if Mk3s had total closure options from the factory; so this might be a pointer towards the aftermarket alarm unit working, just in the absence of the fob..

3. Louie2shoes Forum Member

Hey, thanks for your advice. Just done a little more research and it appears I may be able to buy a couple of bits to bypass the old coded system (as I don't have an original fob). I need to check which model I have first though. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers for your help! :thumbup: