servicing on a mk5 gti ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by gillm, Oct 29, 2006.

1. gillm

gillm ***** User

right the car is a mk5 gti on a 55 plate bought in sept 05 and has done 9800miles , today the dash said service in 1900 miles or 14 days ! what does this really mean 1900 miles ( around 3 months of driving for me ) or 14 days ?

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Think the service intervals may have been set wrong.

On a 55 plate it should be on variable servicing which means 20k or 2 years servicing although depending on driving conditions it could come on as early as 13k. I would ask your local dealer and see what they say

3. gillm

gillm ***** User

my local dealer are theives . they will just say bring it in and oh yeh that cost you ?

4. nealey Forum Junkie

try ringing another dealer and see what they say

5. Seraph Banned

its normally whichever is first...miles or time.

I treat those service lights as guide only tbh. Its not like anything happens when it runs out.

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

yeah it should be set to 20k or 2 years, but it can also depend on the oil quality, prob find its set to 10k or 12 months, just reset it for another 12 months or 10k then you'll be back inline.

then just make sure they reset the service interval right

cheers

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

cheers guys i rang the dealer and they are going to look at it on friday but i have a funny feeling they are going to say it needs a service .

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldnt like my oil in my new engine for any more than 10k miles, longlife or not. As a matter of course, id get a lubrication service at 10k regardless of whether the car is on longlife service or not.

9. oak8vgti Forum Member

longlife oil is designed to last 20k so no need for it to be changed at 10k

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

as he said above otherwise whats the point in having it ?

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

My brother has this long life oil on running in his Audi A4 cabrio. Personally I can't see the benefits as the price double that of normal oil.

I'd rather use standard Quantrum oil and do the service more often personally and changing the oil filters in the mean time.

Best to check with VW what oil the car came with, as my bro's Audi was bought with longlife oil in it, and funny enough the Audi boot car kit has 1litre of spare oil in it. :lol:

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Because your engine when its new still chucks loads of little bits around. I certainly wouldnt chance it for peace of mind. Im sure the oil is fine, but the other material thats in the oil isnt.

13. Bundles Forum Junkie

There's no danger i would leave oil spinning around a turbo for 20k. espacially for it's first service after bedding in etc.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the longlife oil is designed to last longer due to having better anti foaming additives, and the oil filter had a greater surface area to combat and contaminates

I'm from the oil school in oil servicing (partly cos a can drive my cars hard) I'd rather drop the oil & filter every 5-7K , even on a newly build engine[:s]
    if you were to consider lub service early, mk5 GTI must be a very good 0-30 oil (one of the quantum/castrol) off the VW shelf;) , I use it in mates R32 twice a year with no probs

15. craggsy Forum Member

I'm with Luke and Crispy on this.....change oil often is best prevention of contamination

16. oak8vgti Forum Member

so double the service costs, or if your doing it yourself, double the oil filter and sump plug and double the time to do the oil and filter change lol

Most engine manufacturer's bed the engnes in before going to the assembly line to be fitted, its not to much the turbo you want to worry about if your going to worry m8y lol

17. oak8vgti Forum Member

oh and so you know i change the oil every 6-8 k in my vr6 :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. gerald.c New Member

longlife servicing is also known as variable servicing.Depending on driving style u can get between 9300-18600 mile or 2yrs.looks like u'd be best on time & distance servicing which is 10k mile or 1yr which ever comes 1st.Hope that clears up a few things.

19. gillm

gillm ***** User

had it done yesterday . impressed to be honest . they looked after the car very well , cleaned it andf put a top up oil in the boot .

20. oak8vgti Forum Member

cool, glad to hear it all went well