Setting corner weights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 6, 2003.

1. prof Forum Addict

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Something else I've been on about doing for about 2 years :lol:

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Sort it out Gary. :lol:

Rob the Trendy Tramp mentioned he had this equipment didn't he? up at A.W.Tracksport?

Also a Rolling Road setup? Power-to-Weight shootout. :)

:lol: at Mr. Carvells comment regarding ballast.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yes James, Rob did say that Andy (AW tracksport) now has some scales :)

Once we have the cage in it'll be the next thing on the list, I always have probs with left rear locking up under hard braking on track (see Cadwell pics from Daz), always wondered if it's weight related as that corner of the car will be light.

5. roccodan Forum Member

if you have coilovers you can,lift the front, the weight is shifted back, and vice verser same accross the diagonals. my scricco has been corner weighted and when the car is put on corner weights you can see how far out the weight really is. after half a day of fannying around with ride heights, with half a tank of fuel and me it is about 62/38 front to rear 50/50 accross the axels and none of the coilovers are set at the same height to achieve this ;) [:$]

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

That's interesting info dan considering we all just chucksuspension on & forget about it :thumbup:

edit: i take it it's more complicated without coilovers?
    Edited by: fthaimike

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

You could always add small ballast weight, so long as you can cancel it out some other way?

8. roccodan Forum Member

without coilovers changing corner weights can only be done by moving heavy stuff like batterys,if you look at my sig look at the distance between the rim and arch it is lower at the back to try to even the weight towards the rear.. my mates 205 rally car has had every thing removed it has a carbon dash and seats a plastic fuel bag and weighs as much as a wet wooly jumper :lol: and he has added lead weights in all the right places to comply with the weight regs and also to balance the car... as well as a crappy french car can be :lol: :lol:

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

My battery is in the boot at the moment right at the back on the passenger side but i am moving it this year & was thinking of putting it level with thespare wheelwellagainst the passenger side arch or actually in the well?

10. roccodan Forum Member

ditch the spare get a can of tyre weld and put the battery in the well ;)

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I would personally put the battery in the passenger footwell (front), or if your passenger doesn't like that, the rear passenger footwell, due to it being the lowest point in a Mk1 to safely place a battery and of course, aiding a lower centre of gravity.

Ian Carvell mentioned in another thread about how a fellow competitor had put ballast in the rear (behind the rear axle line I think) on a Mk1 and that it was the funniest spin he had witnessed seeing when the back end started to go.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmm yeah it wouldn't be that hard for me to place it there as it already has enough cable to it at the back where it is now, i'll just have to get a suitable box for it & like you said it's much lower down there & even with a regular seat slid right back there's room for a battery there, i'd just have to check that i can vent it out through the floor there like it does in the boot.

13. steved Forum Member

It is easy to get 50 /50 weight distribution with the battery in the original position, Just make sure that the scales are level across and diagonal before tying to set the car up, I now use a Varley 5kg racing battery and just weighedthe car in at 820kg with 50/50

14. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Where did you get yours done steve?
    Also how much? and how much difference did you notice afterwards?

15. steved Forum Member

I Have a set of scles and roll off platforms that someone left in the shop and never collected them,, My car was quite a way out because it had been stripped so much but the car was transformed, while i set the corner weights i made sure that the wishbones were level as the car was running to low.