Setting up timing on mk3 golf (2e engine) 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by atlas2l8v, Feb 12, 2009.

1. atlas2l8v Forum Member

is it the same as what i did on my kjet

Align bottom pulley notches up, punch mark in gearbox, ensure rotor arm is pointing to notch on dizzy then align camshaft.

On the mk2 i had to align the notch with the top of the head, on the mk3 it says OT at the top centre of the rocker cover ??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. atlas2l8v Forum Member

anyone help with this please.....

I set up the crankshaft so the punch mark was on the GearBox correctly and the notch in the pulley is at the top of the pulley.

The dizzy i aligned with the rotor arm facing the notch which is facing no4 cylinder (But there is a OT mark and a Punch mark on the pulley which doesnt align with the notch in the crankshaft pulley)

Aligned the Camshaft pulley with the top of the head on the outer punch mark but there is a OT mark on the side of the head ?? Jus realised i should be using the inner mark shouldnt i ?

I did this no probs on the mk2 but im losing my head on this bloody mk3

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. atlas2l8v Forum Member

ok update, set up bottom end as per before, lined rotor arm with notch (still no marks lining up on the pully to the crankshaft notch), set camshaft OT to OT mark on head

FIred, ran but bit lumpy.

Does the Dizzy seem right set to pointing to no4 cylinder, rotor arm on notch but punch or OT mark on the pully doesnt line up

4. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

i had a similar problem setting mine up ages ago i couldnt do it in the end, so i guessed it by ear and getting it to sound right and rev clean, i think you are setting your pulleys right but if remember right the notch on the dizzy and the rotor arm need to be pointing to number one cylinder, cam belt side i still need to do mine properly its running ok but not perfect, ill be interested to hear what other people say about this matter as it seems you and me have the same problem

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. atlas2l8v Forum Member

think its sorted now

1) Aligned Crankshaft Pulley with punch mark in gearbox

2) Loosened dizzy clamp and aligned the mark with the bottom pulley, the notch on the dizzy was facing approx 2 oclock looking at it towards the water resovoir

3) Aligned the camshaft pulley with OT marks on head and pulley

4) Put belt on and did 2 full turns and all was aligned bob on

5) Then started car, it sounded well better, got it up to temp and then timed it with the arrow mark as per RUBjohnnys guide with disconnnecting the Blue sender, pluggin PCV using the MFA secret menu to make sure got rpm on 2-2.25k rpm

Idle is now settling at 850-900 rpm and sounds sweeter.

Will be taking it out soon se how it feels once cooled down as need check oil/water

6. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

good to hear ya got it sorted im gonna have another go my self this afternoon.. was i right about where the rotor arm and the notch on the dizzy point to looking from the front of the car pointing about 10oclock towards number 1 cylinder at the cam belt side i ask because its been ages since i did it and cant remember lol

7. atlas2l8v Forum Member

no mate when pulleys are lined up fella the notch should be pointing towards the coolant resovior if you get me

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

it starting raining earlier today so i didnt bother in the end, but if the weather good tomorrow ill have a go, if i get stuck can i ring around lunch time or early afternoon if thats ok ?

9. atlas2l8v Forum Member

aye fine mate..no probs