Shall I Turbo or TB my 16V?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Nurburgring, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Nurburgring Forum Member

I have been trying to decide for a while now the route for the development if my engine.

I as some will already know my current Engine Spec is:

2.0 16V (9A)
    TSR Pack A Head
    KR Cams
    TSR 4 branch exhaust manifold
    Stealth WUR Mod
    Ported and polished 50mm inlet manifold and throttle body.

Should i go down the turbo charging route (Garrett T3) and sacrifise the awesome noise and power delivery of well set up Throttle Bodies (+CAMS)?

Obviously the Turbo route would be best for ultimate power (iro 250-300BHP) but on the track (where my mk2 will be most of the time) would a 210+BHP 16V on TB's (+CAMS) be more than a match?

So what does everyone think - go down the route of developing my engine with a Turbo or TB's? VOTES?

[:D] :thumbup:
    Edited by: Nurburgring

2. david_h Forum Member

In short, for track use TB's are the only way to go.

Turbo's suffer heat sink v.quickly.

However, you will need seriously deep pockets to do the Tb set up properly. At the very least 2k+

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

I'd stay NA as you won't need to worry about the compression, leaving mapping as the only real issue.

If you did go turbo it may be easier to just go and find a 1.8T lump

TB's also suit the high revving nature of a track car imo and sound amazing like you say.

wouldn't have thought a 210bhp TB'd 16v could live with a 250bhp turbo, more power and more torque.

4. Nurburgring Forum Member

I already have an Emerald ECU and loom from my old car. I think i could just about do it for 1K ish (+cams).

:)

5. barny Forum Member

You've answerd your own questiuon then ! Thats what i want to do to mine [:^(]

6. ViCk Forum Member

2.1 16v on Throttle Bodies !!

7. Nurburgring Forum Member

Cheers for the comments so far [:D]

If i did go down the turbo route i'd prefer to stick with the 16V for high rpm reliability and its a bit less common than the 1.8T [:D]

yeah that TB sound is awesome and unmistakable! ;) :lol:

mind you a whistling turbo, chattering wastgate and tssss of a dump valve is quite nice too :lol:

8. Nurburgring Forum Member

Yeah but was going to use the ecu for the turbo conversion too :)

Think i could do them both for similar sort of price range - hence my indecision? [:$]

9. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Do it, for 1k it would be rude not to :)

some friends of mine have jenvey setups on their cars (not vw) and all saw good gains-especially in the mid range.

I'd do it for the noise alone :lol:

10. Nurburgring Forum Member

By increasing bore or stroke?

would'nt want to increase stroke due to the sacrifice to decrease engine speed. :)

11. Nurburgring Forum Member

:lol: 'be rude not to' :lol:

know what you mean about the noise - is very nice indeed!!! [:^:]

used to have jenvey's on my pug 205 mi16 (211BHP) would like to make my mk2 up to a similar state of tune/performance. [:D]

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You'll have lots of probs trying to Turbo the 16v, and even more if you try and up the power to silly levels, Stealth have fitted a 1.8T in 'micheals' mk2 from Norfolk ( the grey one with 17" Azevs that seems to live at Stealth) it was running decent power but not enough for the owner, whatever they did to it it was hard to improve on so fitted the 1.8t which is a lot easier to get power from.

As others have said, turbo cars get real hot on track, and you'll be spoiling your day with the problems that'll no doubt come along from heat soak etc.

By fitting ITBs you're not going to stress the engine much more than it is now, unless you run silly revs, fit some ARP rod bolts to be on the safe side though ;)

Lot's of our cars have proven that the 16v can be a reliable track car, mine has done 40k on it's used engine, gets used every day and done 3 trips over to the 'ring now and numerous track days without a single engine problem - I fitted the head to cure high oil consumption but that's it.

The gearbox on the other hand - sh1te. :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

13. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

IF you plan it properly you shouldnt have any problems (or any more than you would have goinng throttle bodies). You already have an emerald so you are half way there. The most important thing is, with turbo, you are less likely to have those guys in their cossies accelerating away from you on a track.[:D]

14. Nurburgring Forum Member

:lol: :lol: My thoughts exactly :lol:

How would my 020 gearbox/the wierd clutch flywheel setup ( :lol: ) handle the torque from a 2.0 16V Turbo though??? [:s]

15. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

You really need to go for a cable change of some description,,,,ok the gearchange isnt as nice but its a stronger box. On my 16v turbo, i went for one off a corrado 16v, then machined the corradoflywheel down to bring it back to the weight of the small 020 one. For the clutch you can use a VR6 one to keep costs down otherwise there are plenty of uprated clutches about (Haldex/SPEC etc)

16. Nurburgring Forum Member

Not long had my stealth built 020 2Y box with quaife ATB diff, lightened flywheel, Helix Group N clutch and pressure plate [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

Need to do something with the engine though as 180+BHP still is'nt enough [:$] ;)

17. mk1vdub Forum Member

a 16v turbo would be excellent and certainly alot of fun but I've never though of them as a track engine at all, brilliant street/drag engine but just not really right for the track

TBs all the way [:D] for an extra kick why not look at nitrous - it seem to have got a bit of a bad image from nobbers and the fast and the furious and people seem slightly suspicious of it, but for best bang for your buck I doubt if you could do much better
    there some good article in Practical Performance Car mag where they fitted it to a trck day bimmer 325 and the resulst looked great :thumbup:

18. Nurburgring Forum Member

You've seen that grey one at Stealth too then - i've been to stealth about 5 times in the past 4 months and seen it there every time! [:s]

Yeah i was thinking about getting tome ARP fastners - Rod bolts, Mains and Head if they do them all? As i want to put a metal head gasket on and fit new valve guides too.

Anyone know of the cheapest place to get this stuff from - Stealth???