Shell Optimax? Marketing scam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Aug 16, 2005.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

When I slapped in some optimax after my old man decided to use some 'Greased Lightning' engine cleaner, once we ran back to 95 ron, then engine wasn't more powerful (1.3 :lol: ), just ran smoother and didn't splutter as much.

I only used it when running the engine treatment cleaner and after it, so two tanks basically. Otherwise, its simple 95ron fuel for me!

2. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Had my car at Stealth last weekend, alll the Mk2 Valver boys were using
    Optimax and Vince was suprised that I wasn't. I've got a few pinking
    problemns with the engine at the moment, and he said that the usual
    unleaded may have contributed to it

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Mine knocks on 95, it`s not a scam, they don`t force you to buy it..

4. bobski Forum Member

i must say my car doesnt struggle at all on 95 ron......even up hills ect....pulls like a train .....in fact where i stay in perth....scotland there is a big climb on the way into the fair city and ive been comming up that flat out a few times.....and it fells just the same on 98ron.......only way you`ll benifit is if your car is highly tuned(1.8t...vr6....ect ect.....).....then yeah fair play your car will need it but on my standard 1.8 16v you dont see any difference and im pretty sure if you put it rollers for bhp out put you wouldnt see enough to make you notice probualy about 2 or at a push 3bhp

5. Jeff Forum Junkie

vr6s arent highly tuned. they get their power from being 2.8 litres, not being tuned. think about a vr6 with two cylinders lopped off - you'd have a slightly overbore 1.8 8v then! nothing that special!

used to run my 2.9 vr on 95 ron without seeing a difference but my g60 was pinking all over the place with 95ron! vr will need 98ron im sure when I eventually start using it with the turbo!

this seems to come up on the forum all the time - ive said this before.

6. TomGTi Forum Member

What would you guys recommend I use in my Mk3 GTi 16v? Will it have a
    knock sensor in it capable of altering the timing for Optimax fuel?