Short Journeys - Service mode best for me?

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by chrisw2uk, Aug 4, 2011.

1. chrisw2uk New Member

I live 1.5 miles from my work hence lots of short journeys (no bikes please, there's a hill)
    And I rarely go further than 10 miles from where I live.

My MK5 Golf 2.0 GTI T is due it's 1st Service (with me) 05 plate and I've still got over a years warranty left as bought 2yrs.

What mode do I need to ask the car be put into for when it's being serviced?

Do I ask for ''Long life''?

Do I ask for some kind of other re-programming to compensate from me confusing the ECU.
    I'm well aware my short journeys are damaging to the internal service coutdown timer.

The car already asked for a service few months ago but I voided it, it had only done 1-2k since the last one done in the book by VW

any help greatly appreciated

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

>I'm well aware my short journeys are damaging to the internal service coutdown timer

i cant see how thats possible to be honest.

as far as i know you have either ironically "long life" servicing or fixed time/mileage/OBC determined servicing.

given that short journeys are so much "worse" for an engine, thats probably why the OBC has requested another service so soon.

so it depends on what your priority is, saving x a year or keeping the car in better condition

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Indeed this is the case, if you want to see a worn out engine in a short time this sort of use will do it in no time as it's always in cold running mode, which means two things, the rings will be starved of oil and that oil will be contaminated with soot from the rich mixture much sooner (even more wear on the big ends and mains). Why people are obbsessd with low millage cars is beyond me, if you want to see a car with little wear to the engine look at an Ex police traffic car, these cover huge numbers of miles but are almost enver cold, bieng passed from one shift to the next and I've yet to see one thats worn out

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Will ignoring this affect your warranty ?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think it will give the dealer more reasons to void parts of the warrenty

if you had a failed interior door handle, obviously the service history wont have a bearing on the handle, but if your turbo died very prematurely then theyd look for any excuse possible not to repair it for you and theyd be like a dog with a bone once they saw the overshot servicing