Shorter oil filter needed after fitting sandwich plate

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Hilux, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Evening all,

I have just got the Mk1 Golf back together and due to high oil temps on very hot days last year have fitted an oil cooler to the ABF engine. I thought about removing the water/oil heat exchanger but wasn't prepared at this stage to faff about with blanking off pipes etc - I will do eventually if it requires it.

Fitting the sandwich plate under the exchanger of course extends the filter downwards.

I think there is enough clearance between it and the lower panel section (about 15-20mm) and based on my experience of engine rocking/rotating this is probably not an issue however if I am wrong I don't want the filter straining the sandwich plate and its seal.

I seem to recall someone suggesting a shorter alternative filter from a Polo I think but I am mindful not to restrict flow by using a different filter so seek advice or experience.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Polo smaller filter will not restrict flow afaik

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

As sambo said. A polo filter is the same thread, but about half the height

4. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

im currently using a lupo gti oil filter in my mk1 and havent came across any problem yet

5. Paul 16v Forum Member

Lupo gti one here too

6. Hilux Forum Member

Lupo GTi filter it is then ??

Many thanks all.

7. Hilux Forum Member

Lupo GTi filter it is then :thumbup:

Many thanks all.

8. shockerboy Forum Member

removing the oil water heat exchanger makes way more sense , they can crack inside and cause oil and water to mix . also all the water pipes can crack if not renewed , Too many things to go wrong . plus you will have 2 x long extension threaded tubes inside the assembly , more likely to leak etc etc Fit sandwich plate only and 16 row oil cooler bin all the stuff not needed like heat exchanger and excess pipes , Reliability on track is paramount . With any race car remove everything that is not vital ha ha .

9. Hilux Forum Member

I will later in the year but for now I`ll risk it as others haven't said don't do it due to major issues but I get do where you are coming from.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

IIRC The Polo G40 filter has a none return valve inside it like the G60 filter has...Just something to possibly consider as I'm unsure about the none G40 Polo filters.

Neil.

11. Hilux Forum Member

I turn the engine over with the high pressure pump off until pressure builds before starting however I thought the ABF`s with hydraulic tappets had a check valve in the head or block?

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I use a sandwich plate to allow an external oil cooler as extra cooling capacity. The OE VW watercooled oil cooler is still fitted.
    I also use the equivalent oil filter that is fitted to a 1995 Polo 6N with the AFH 1.4 16v engine as well as a host of other EA111 engines.

Here is a picture of the OEM part and part#.

[​IMG]

My own experience with the above combination has been, I use the car on track and as a daily covering at least 15k miles per year. Recently, pretty much over 100mph on the Autobahn was sustained for extended periods of time with the MFA suggesting 88-94 deg C of oil temp.
    I have no durability concerns with the above.

HTH

Nige likes this.
  13. Notso Swift Forum Member

Correct, you just need to change it more often as it will have less filtering material, so will clog sooner, shouldn't be an issue for a tack car as you will be on top of the oil anyway

14. Hilux Forum Member

Ok thanks for all the info - I feel more confident now.

I have the Lupo GTi filter fitted from GSF - its a Mann filter so a decent make (I believe) having used them on many cars and 4x4`s for years.