Sidelight bulb replacment on mk4

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by loftuz, Jan 8, 2007.

1. loftuz Forum Member

Hi peeps, just a dead quick question. How the bloody hell do i replace my sidelight bulbs on my mk4 Golf. After around 2 hours of srcaping knuckles and blood [:^(] i managed to replace my dipped bulbs, but cant see for the life of me how to do sidelights! There so far forward it's un true! [:s]

Any top tips would be greatfull! :)

Loftuz

2. Seraph Banned

might be better off removing the bumper/lamps if youre struggling

3. nealey Forum Junkie

take it to a dealer and ask them nicely to do it!

4. Golfgirl Forum Member

It's bloody difficult, I've been putting off replacing a sidelight because of the hassle involved. Easiest way to access the headlight is to take the bumper off, but it CAN be done without. GVK changed one of mine at the weekend and although he wasn't able to get his hand in, his mate was. I'll point him in the direction of this thread to tell you how they did it...

Unfortunately though the same bulb blew as soon as it was put in[:x] so I'm going to have to replace it yet again.[8(]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  5. steve1976 New Member

Oh great ive just bought a mk4 and thats something to look forward to then!!

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

As Claire says,you need the fingers of an Ethiopian to fit the side light bulbs with the headlamps in situ, ideally you need to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights on a mk4, which I started to do on Saturday after work, I took off the grille and the eleventy million TX25 torx bolts under the grille and in the wheel arches, as I was doing that one of my work mates Jon asked me WTF I was doing!

"Err, changing the sidelight bulbs you need to take the bumper off!!..."

"Feck that" Jon said and squeezed his hands in there and changed them in situ. His hands are smaller than my sausage fingers, but he still got his hand stuck in there. Claire's car has Xenons so all the HID gubbins makes it even tighter in there.

Could remove the battery on the near side but then you've gotta recode the radio etc..

To add insult to injury, after testing the bulbs two or three times one of the 'kin things blew shortly after.

Don't buy these fancy looking LED sidelight bulbs!!

7. loftuz Forum Member

man, why aint anything in life ever easy...........? Cant belive i may have to take the bloody bumper off just to replace a poxy 50p light buld.......! This aint good! :-(

Think i want my MK 2 back now! [:^(]

8. sixpot Forum Member

My Passat B5.5 is the same, definitely an afterthought!