Sigma alarm - Poor Reception

Discussion in 'Security' started by MarkP, Dec 30, 2010.

1. MarkP

MarkP Forum Member

Hi

I've got a Sigma alarm installed in a Mk3. To arm/disarm I have to be about max 3 feet from the car. I've tried new batteries in the one fob I have working but to no avail. Is this just the way of things with these alarms? My old Mk3 with a Toad alarm could be operated from the comfort of my house.

Is there an external antenna for it that may be poorly postioned? Can I buy an additional antenna.

Also the keyfob is single button. Are there replacements with separate open/close buttons like the toad. Meant if you werent sure you had locked it you could positively lock it form the house and not count flashes/beeps!

None of these issues are reason to change it but would make it more convenient.

markp

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yes the external antenna could be poorly fitted/ poorly placed. When I fitted the clifford antenna recently I mounted it in the A pillar and works perfect.

Also the wire could be broken so check.

Not sure about the key fob button, you will have to talk to alarm dealer than deals with Sigma's.

Cheers

3. animaniac Forum Member

A guy under the name imagewerx on the uk-mkivs.net forum fits the sigmas and will tell you where to look for the antenna.

4. Studweiser Forum Member

try holding the remote under your chin and pressing button. it will extend the range that sigmas were never blessed with.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Against your temple, surely? Clarkson-style... :lol:

[YOUTUBE]_jACSPipPSE[/YOUTUBE]

6. Studweiser Forum Member

clarkson must've benn reading forum years ago and got it from me, and just chose his temple to avoid interlectual property suit. lol. i'm forum members from way back will agree. :lol::lol::lol:

7. animaniac Forum Member

Nice to hear from you stud.

Yes i remember buying an american car audio and security mag called car audio and electronics back in 1999/2000 ish and they had a big alarm feature and they went into great detail of how the fcc regulated the radio frequency range and power levels so that all alarms suffered from poor range.

I'm sure you've had times when out of the blue your remote just doesnt work and your pressing the button for ages until it works!

Yet once your back home it starts working normal again, this is interfearence caused by too many wireless radio signals which overpower your low powered remote!

Even my clifford G4 C300 has a hard time cutting through the overpowering signals.

You use to be able to buy an alarm range antenna which connected to your alarms antenna wire.

A little square box with 2 metal strips either side, maplin used to sell them.